"Inherently more accurate"

I own a ruger compact 260, and with fact ammo, (I've tried all I can think of) I can't get any better than a 3.5-4" group. I don't reload. Any suggestions? Having the barrel crowned? Barrell has been floated.

I'd contact Ruger, they may rebarrel it.

My Savage didn't shoot much better than that so I sent it back and Savage rebarreled it. It was better but still not good Imo so I put a new Shaw 22" sporter contour barrel on it. Now it shoots like it should.

^^^ This^^^
CM is not more inherently accurate than a 260 or 243 something. Shorter powder columns though do seem to be more inherently accurate than long cartridges like a 300 Win mag or similar . This is mostly due to the short powder column which tends to get a more uniform burn of the powder. Also the powders used in short cartridges are faster burning powders which tend to enhance accuracy as well.
I just helped a friend with load development for a 300 WSM, with 180 gr projectiles. I didn't see that faster powders were being used as compared to long action, say 30-06. In fact the WSm was harder to find a load for than your typical 30-06. This is of course based on one rifle, a broke in Win M70.

I disagree with the idea the br guys shoot cartridges based on others winning with it while not testing it themselves. They are the most anal reloader/testers/tinkerers out there. They don't spend tens of thousands on gear without making sure the groups are as small as possible.
this could not be more TRUE
I have argued "no such thing" as an accurate case!
The IBRSA guys talked me into the ground
Now i do believe short n fat is where its at.
They are the highest level group of scientific shooters Ive come across having an answer for about everything having tested just about everything in great detail.
But a cartridge accurate?? Ive always seen the combination as accuracy ie barrel, trigger BULLET style
Now I believe short n fat

Now I believe short n fat

Oh yeah. One of the studies that was done as to why the 6mm PPC and closely related cartridges were so accurate had to do with the ratio between powder column width vs height. Short fat proved to mo betta.

Inherently more accurate, NO.... inherently more consistent YES. They were designed to be consistent and more effecient. And a great side effect of this consistency is the ability to lauch a projectile with repeatable performance. Hence what people think is accuracy is REPEATABILITY. Yes there is a differance and by using word association doesn't make it correct.

Very similar to using FFP and MIL scopes. No they are not more accurate than SFP and MOA, but in situations where the majority of people are using/trying them it is easier to gain knowledge and tips when you are talking the same "language". when someone tells you hold 2 up and 3 left, and you hit the the target with the exact same load recipe as you were shooting before, dosent mean you are more "accurate" now, you are just as accurate, but now you are on target.

Some companies are great at marketing. Yes they are good products. But quality internet seaching and spending time behind products allows you to see the differance between actual gains and "in therory gains"
that is the problem with the discussion...semantics!
I say efficient , my buddy says accurate.

Guys please re-read my very first post. The question was what does "inherently more accurate" mean?

When I asked my thoughts were that most folks looking for the best accuracy are going to be reloading. My 260 is a deer rifle and I load for it because I want the best accuracy, not just minute of deer. If that were the case I'd just buy it from my local lgs. Also reloading is another hobby I enjoy.

I've wanted to ask this for a long time, there have been some interesting answers.

Thanks, Justin
It really doesn't matter what you ask, any time of any day in ANY forum on earth and beyond, It WILL turn in to a Creedmoor debate. I'd like to see that word added to the forbidden list and auto replaced with "Whizbang" or "squigglebottom" or "Derpderp". Something humors. Oh yes... the 6.5 Derpderp...

Well if itt really doesn't matter what you ask, any time of any day in ANY forum on earth and beyond, It WILL turn in to a Creedmoor debate.

Sure has not on this thread. The anti-6.5 CM guys got really lame and started acting like calumnious jerks months ago. Can't speak for everywhere but I tell ya if some of those guys showed up at a range in my part of coastal South Carolina and started with trashing 6.5CM shooters I guarantee you some good ol boy would crawl their frame. Unless you are some clueless creodont you just don't trash other guys equipment or choices in cartridges. Very uncool.

Last edited:
Sure has not on this thread. The anti-6.5 CM guys got really lame and started acting like idiots months ago. Can't speak for everywhere but I tell ya if some of those guys showed up at a range in my part of coastal South Carolina and started with trashing 6.5CM shooters I guarantee you some good ol boy would crawl their frame. You can
believe that!
I do, I do believe that. Merry Christmas.

I own a ruger compact 260, and with fact ammo, (I've tried all I can think of) I can't get any better than a 3.5-4" group. I don't reload. Any suggestions? Having the barrel crowned? Barrell has been floated.
Really like he photo of your family. Happy Christmas to all.

Sorry to hear about your Ruger. Especially in a cartridge that is known for good accuracy.
3.5-4" is...well....awful..so I know you are frustrated. How many kinds of factory ammunition have you tried?

Last edited:
I just helped a friend with load development for a 300 WSM, with 180 gr projectiles. I didn't see that faster powders were being used as compared to long action, say 30-06. In fact the WSm was harder to find a load for than your typical 30-06. This is of course based on one rifle, a broke in Win M70.

Try something around the H4350 burn rate . It rules in the 6.5 CM and 300 WSM.
Try RL22, H1000, Retumbo in cartridges like the 25-06, 30-06, 300 WM.

Really like he photo of your family. Happy Christmas to all.

Sorry to hear about your Ruger. Especially in a cartridge that is known for good accuracy.
3.5-4" is...well....awful..so I know you are frustrated. How many kinds of factory ammunition have you tried?
7 different types to no avail.