"Inherently more accurate"

I can't wait to hear what the 300 Winchester Magnum tests come back with...

There's a fellow up here in our area that was making Gain-twist barrels,,, maybe this is something their looking at,,, or are they seating the bullets long to add more powder charge allowing the base of it to sit flush the charge of powder forward of the shoulder...

Intresting indeed that they are trying to stench the legs on one of North Americas favorite cartridges...

Another fellow in our area has 2 loads for his 215 gr bullets,,, 1 is for range time with medium / hot loads that lesson flash-burn on the throat of the barrel,,, alot less recoil...

Them he loads it hot for hunting season,,, his rifle has the quick attach/ detach MB... Its in place when he sights in for hunting season... Ha...

Thunder in the Valley when he sparks off those loads. Oh Yha...

Cheers from the North

One thing about looking at records and what BR guys use is once one guy wins with one cartridge then every body else switches to that. So it isn't necessarily "the best", just the one that won...same with barrels and actions...a guy with wins with a Bartlien then the following comps you'll see more and more Bartliens, then someone will win with a Brux, well you get the picture...short and fat is always more accurate until a long skinny cartridge beats it.
Not entirely true. I am sure winning is a major plus, but to win, shrinking group size and aggs is the game to be consistent.

From what the 1000-yard benchrest records show, the most accurate cartridges keep all record shots inside 7+ inches for a given match. They range from the smallest 5-shot group to the largest 10-shot group in an aggregate

I have a 7br reamer I've never used. Is it worth it, or stick with 6 and 30br? Never seen a 7br on any top lists
Distance matters. If your shooting short range, a 30br will make you think your the best tuner on the planet. The 6 will out perform it at 600+. The 7br, like the 6.5br is on the small side for lr bullets.

Last edited:
The top 1k BR cases will shoot under 2" at 1k in good conditions. Only a handfull of cases have proven that capable. Match reports only tell you about daily limits due to conditions.
So all those 4 to 5 inch groups in record aggregates of several 5-shot groups are shot in poor conditions?

Last edited:
Less than perfect, absolutely. When its good you will know it because multiple guys will shoot 2-3" 50 scores in one relay. I have built a handful of rifles that have broke 1K agg records, they were all solid 2" guns in the early morning conditions. In fact, I'll say if the gun is not a 2" gun, it wont be breaking any agg records. The other side of it is keeping the rifle tuned perfectly. In long range BR we do not have time to reload during the match like short range BR. So most of the rifles on the line are not perfectly tuned.

I have both...no there no such thing (in my thinking) of "inherently more accurate" cartridge. Interesting concept

i can't fully agree with this as accuracy records seem to be dominated by certain cartridges and others never find their way into that "inner circle" (pun very much intended).

that being said I certainly don't believe in inherently "innaccurate" cartridges.

I do very much believe that stellar accuracy is much much easier to achieve with some cartridges than others. Maybe not "inherently more accurate" but "easier to make accurate".

my own experience with that had been (not limited to this but it's an example) the .22-250 vs .220 swift. Played with both. At their best the .220 swift is no less accurate. But it's finicky, it took a lot more fiddling to get everything just right while the .22-250 seems pretty accurate with many combos. Same for the classic .308 win, 6.5 creed, etc

i can't fully agree with this as accuracy records seem to be dominated by certain cartridges and others never find their way into that "inner circle" (pun very much intended).

that being said I certainly don't believe in inherently "innaccurate" cartridges.
One common case dimension thing about cartridges producing best accuracy is their body diameter to body length expressed as a ratio. A 308 Win case has a smaller ratio than a 30-06. 30-338's ratio is smaller than a 300 Win or Wby Mag ratio.

Shorter powder columns of a given diameter ignite then burn more uniformly.

Yes the volume along with alot of factors add into helping assist a cartridge for accuracy...

30/06's have long necks that help keep the bullets seated straight,,, of course run-out really has alot to do with the equipment for resizing... That and taking the time to messure and check twice... Ha...

The 300 Winchester Magnum is a different cat,,, but strangely enough the darn things seem to shoot awesome...

So yes,,, a rifle,,, optic,,, ammo,,, with a good solid set-up and shooter on task can most likely make things happen... So long as it all falls into place at the same time...

More wrong then right of course...

Cheers from the North

"Inherently accurate" is a term used by people who can't figure out the root causes of large group size; IMO, no such thing. Mechanically robust, or configurationally insensitive? Better.

Recent Posts