Inherently Inaccurate Cartidges

12 gauge shotgun, cant seem to shoot a decent 100 yard group.:D
Browning BPS, 12ga,, 100yds as fast as I could shoot. Off hand. Winchester Supreme Sabots. Ouch!

Attachments

• Browning target.jpg
    Browning target.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 49
I just think there is no such a thing as an "inherent" inaccurate cartridge but I sure can buy into an "inherent" inaccurate loose nut behind the recoil pad. Are all cartridges F class capable? No not really but so what. We are talking hunting not cutting X's. Animal is just as dead with a 1 MOA vs 1/2 MOA rifle. Cartridge versus platform is different discussion.

I just think there is no such a thing as an "inherent" inaccurate cartridge but I sure can buy into an "inherent" inaccurate loose nut behind the recoil pad. Are all cartridges F class capable? No not really but so what. We are talking hunting not cutting X's. Animal is just as dead with a 1 MOA vs 1/2 MOA rifle. Cartridge versus platform is different discussion.
Correct. Another thread reminded me of this, I had a friend that picked up a 788 at a gun show years ago. Can't remember if it was custom or factory, but it was chambered in 30-30. Supposedly an inaccurate cartridge. We decided to play with it and see if we could get it to shoot. With very little fuss we had it shooting 1/2" 5 shot groups, over and over and over. Really neat gun his kid learned on when he was big enough.

Overbores are finicky, 204ruger, 257wby can be finicky, they'll shoot accurately, but not with just any old load

Just wondering with all the new inherently accurate cartidges popping up could we get a list going of the inherently inaccurate ones?
Don't believe in inherent inaccuracy per say but some are finicky/picky as all get out. 220 swift comes to mind. The one I had was a spoiled brat with attitude haha… "if it's not imr 4064 under a 55 grain flat base i WONT do a good job" (imagine being said by said rifle in a snotty voice haha)

Browning BPS, 12ga,, 100yds as fast as I could shoot. Off hand. Winchester Supreme Sabots. Ouch!
I wish there was a video of this. I can only imagine how that gun bucked. I was patterning my Benelli SuperNova for an upcoming turkey hunt, and I was done after 4 shots. Good lord those Turkey loads hit hard.

Inherit accuracy depends on whos behind the trigger and the gun you shoot best.😄

Last edited:
A Marlin 44 Mag with a 1/38 twist. Good shotgun patterns
I've seen Speer 240gr soft points put 6 in an inch at 100yds with a scoped PC Smith revolver. Key is consistent bullet pull with 296 or H110. All straight wall Magnum cartridges are very sensitive to it.

30-30 Win get's my vote.
I missed the biggest rack in my life from 50ft with a friend's 30-30, THREE times..
The first shot made the buck laugh, the second shot stirred him up to moon walk away, the third attempt was a throwing of the gun,, still missed.

If anyone feels their cartridge is inaccurate, please ship the firearm to me. I will hold on to it and do my best to prove them wrong 😑

OK, since I just sold a NIB 6.5 CM that I won almost a year ago to build funds to rebarrel a 300WSM, I must be part of this. But I do have a .35Rem and a 30/30 that just can't seem to kill anything over 200 yards, oh wait, they kill everything inside 200 so must be really inherit inaccuracy built into their millions of game animals killed. But if it was a .35 CreM it will be ok. The 30/30 RIM is obviously better now too. My 51 year old .270 Win just can't seem to get it done either but hear if it was a .270 JOC (Jack O'Connor) it would slay anything out to any distance, oh well stuck with inherently lousy rifles I guess!

And it is snowing here and 7 degrees.
Great, now I've got the JOC itch….

I've seen Speer 240gr soft points put 6 in an inch at 100yds with a scoped PC Smith revolver. Key is consistent bullet pull with 296 or H110. All straight wall Magnum cartridges are very sensitive to it.
My 629 scoped will outshoot the marlin anytime