inaccurate barrel twist, for 75gr.VMAX

cappi

Thinking about buying a new Reminton 700 in cal 6mm rem. The new 6mms with 26" barrels have a 1:9 twist. My concern is that it may not be accurate enough if used PRIMARILY for prarie dogs out to 350 to 500 yards maximum range , shooting the Hornady 75 gr. VMax , " because " the faster twist caters to the longer bullets. Should I not worry and buy the gun ?
Also read on this sight that the slower twist (1:14 ,1:13) allow faster speeds, but appx. how much gain ?

I would buy the Remington 6mm, however, I would shoot the 87grn V-Max. It should shoot the 87grn V-Max well. I am thinking it will push the 87grn V-Max at 3250 to 3350fps. I am guessing it will shoot the 75grn V-Max as well. Try the 75grn V-Max and see how it works, but I am betting the 87grn V-Max will shoot awesome out of a 1-9 twist barrel.

What Remington are you looking at. It sounds like the Remington 700 VLS. The Remington VLS is a very nice and accurate factory rifle. My friend uses a Remington 700 VLS in 308 and it is very accurate. He uses this rifle for varminting, and he likes to use the 110grn V-Max.

Good luck

Wildcat

75 vmax

I was hoping for someone with some experience shooting the lighter 75gr vmax with the faster than ideal twist of 1:9. Was wondering if that twist had an adverse affect on accuracy with the Hornady 75 VMAX. Did not want to have to buy the gun to find out the hard way , that it did not group well enough. Yes it was the Remington VLS that i was thinking of buying as it is the only game in town with a 26 inch barrel from the factory. My hang up is that i want the higher velocities and explosiveness of the 75 gr. VMAX

Last edited:
cappi I've got the same gun. I have not shot the 75 gr. vmax's but I have shot the 75 gr. Hornady hollow points. It will shoot the 75's as good or better as any other weight bullet I have tried. I not sure but I think they were running somewhere around 3500 fps. I did try the 87 gr. vmax's and it didn't like them too well but every gun is different. I don't think you will have any problems with 75 gr. bullets.
David

75 vmax and 1:9 twist

David, thank you so much. that kind of first hand experience helps greatly in my decision making process. Just checking to verify that that twist does not adversly affect accuracy. I can live with the slower velocity of the 1:9 as opposed to say a 1:13 that I hear may be optimum for that 75 grain weight.
I wonder just how much of a velocity loss there is approx.
Thank you all for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.