Barrel twist for 6x45

antleredacres

OK: I have a 6mm barrel already with a 1-7.5" twist. I also have a Sako s491 action (223 length). I'd like to have that barrel installed on said action and chambered in 6x45. With that twist in that chambering will I be able to use bullets in the 80 grain range? Thanks

OK: I have a 6mm barrel already with a 1-7.5" twist. I also have a Sako s491 action (223 length). I'd like to have that barrel installed on said action and chambered in 6x45. With that twist in that chambering will I be able to use bullets in the 80 grain range? Thanks
I have a 700 Rem chambered in 6X45 with a 10-twist barrel. I shoot 80 grain Sierra #1515 Varminter Bullets and Nosler 80-grain Ballistic Tip bullets. The rifle is very accurate with the two 80-grain bullets.

Why not go with the 6mm-TCU? It has greater case capacity, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was designed for the 90 gr. range of bullets. Mine shoots really nice, but haven't yet finished dialing it in with Berger 87 gr. VLDs. Also, fireforming isn't that big of a problem.

I have a buddy who almost exclusively shoots Sierra GK 85 grain HPBT bullets from a 1:7 twist 6X45. I built the rifle and was going to play with some bullets that required that twist. However, life got in the way after a move for work and I didn't have time to play anymore. I gave the rifle to him as he wanted to try it and he has a few thousand of the Sierra bullets. He is enjoying it, and is planning on trying it on some deer in OK this fall.

Here are some pics of the rifle I gave my buddy.

I have a buddy who almost exclusively shoots Sierra GK 85 grain HPBT bullets from a 1:7 twist 6X45. I built the rifle and was going to play with some bullets that required that twist. However, life got in the way after a move for work and I didn't have time to play anymore. I gave the rifle to him as he wanted to try it and he has a few thousand of the Sierra bullets. He is enjoying it, and is planning on trying it on some deer in OK this fall.

Here are some pics of the rifle I gave my buddy.

Thanks, you're a great buddy

Thanks, you're a great buddy
I owe him far more than that rifle would ever be worth. He's been a great friend and mentor, plus he has taken my daughter under his wing as well and taken her on some amazing hunts when I couldn't over a two year period.

Here is my daughter's first mule deer she got with him, while I was laid up with a shattered leg.

With that twist in that chambering will I be able to use bullets in the 80 grain range? Thanks
Twist requirements have nothing to do with a cartridge, but is entirely on the bullet and atmospheric conditions.
Pick a bullet and look up what the manufacture calls for twist.
This is usually based on a standard sea level atmosphere, which is challenging to stability.

Recent Posts