Barrel twist for 7mm

KSB209

Was wondering what you all would put on a Rem 700 chambered in 7MM. I am going to change stocks and barrels but trying to figure out what rate of twist would be appropriate. I spoke to a smith and he said the standard is 1 in 10. If I am primarily going to shout 140-165 grain bullets does the 1 in 10 sound good? I may use this rifle on larger game such as elk and would probably step up to a larger bullet so that is a consideration as well. The larger bullet would only be used maybe once a year and I don't really think I would take a shot longer than 300-350 yards.

At the range I plan on shooting up to 500 yards and still plan on using bullets around 165 and for deer hunting will probably stick with 152 grains.

So what rate of twist would be ideal? Probably going to stay with a 24" barrel unless you all tell me differently because this is going to be my go to hunting gun as well as a range gun.

Your smith needs to get with the 21'st century... 1:9 is considered standard for 7mm calibers these days.

I would go with a 26" 1:9. You'll be fine from 140's up to 180's.

26" is about the standard for magnum chamberings. Unfortunately, most factory offerings are shorter than this, for some reason, other than on certain "specialty" models.

If you're going to have a double-duty rifle, then I would go with a stainless & fluted 26" Sendero contour 1:9 twist barrel. And find an old HS Precision Sendero stock to use for your rifle build. If you use a lightweight scope and mount, you should be able to come in around 10-11 lbs, no problem. If you buy a slightly heavier scope and rail & rings, then you'll be closer to around 12-13 lbs. Which sounds like a heavy rifle, but when you factor in stability for LR shooting, and target shooting, you will definitely be glad you have that heavy barrel hanging out front.

The more you carry the rifle around, the easier it will eventually become. And if you have it strapped over your shoulder and around your back, the gun weight becomes almost a non-issue. Some guys like to tote their guns around in their arms and hands.....Screw all that. I'll loosen my sling and strap it around my shoulder, over my head, and around my neck to evenly distribute the weight (sort of like wearing a mail satchel or a laptop bag), and I can walk for miles and couldn't really tell you the difference between a 8lb rifle and a 12 lb rifle.

Thanks guys....I am pretty confident in the smith but he is an older gentleman and might be stuck in his ways but is willing to do whatever I tell him. I was looking at the Mcmillan stocks. Hopefully I can get one in stock because waiting 10 months to have one made is crazy.

If a Chromoly barrel will satisfy you, Krieger has 6 of them on the shelf.

IMO 1-8.5 LOL
Serious though. Faster is better.

The only advantage of a slower twist is.... Um, there is no advantage.

The 7mm caliber is moving beyond 180 gr bullets, long sleek heavy bullets are coming, DON'T be the guy wishing he had a faster twist barrel, many guys here can attest to this, I would go with an 8 Twist, that will cover you down to 140 gr bullets and have you ready for the heavier high bc bullets that will be popping up sooner than y'all think ....

He did specify 500 yards...

And for that, 1 in 9" is plenty....there is no benefit whatsoever to using 180+ grain bullets at that distance....not worth the hassle of "specialty" bullets, or "specialty" twists.

The need for fast twist and 180+ grain bullets only becomes real past 800 yards, and only if you have a big jugged magnum round (7mm Allen Mag for example)...the Rem Mag just doesn't have enough capacity/speed to make use of it.

As in all things...too much of a good thing...is bad.

Unless you're reaching for 1,200 yard hunting with a really big magnum...1 in 9" twist is all you'll ever need.

If twist rates keep going the direction they're heading...it won't be long before lathe turned bullets are required, lol...and loaded into necked down 30mm brass.

I know and understand the benefits of fast twist and long, sleek bullets...but I also know there comes a point of diminishing returns, and I believe that point is about 180 grains with any standard magnum (Rem Mag, WSM, Weatherby, etc.)...from the STW on up, 1 in 8" will be of some use with 190 grain bullets.

1 in 9" is plenty....

....not worth the hassle of "specialty" bullets, or "specialty" twists...

1 in 9" twist is all you'll ever need.

everybody is entitled to their opinion I guess,
just a few years ago like minded people such as yourself told me the exact same thing when I built my 1st custom long range rifle in 30 cal....,

"12 twist is all you'll ever need ".... "don't need anything more than 180 gr".... blah blah blah !

now tell that to all the guys here shooting "specialty" bullets in 210, 215 and 230 gr bullets in "specialty" 10 twist tubes,

500 yards is where he will start as most of us did and he will quickly find out that 1000 -2000 yards a lot more fun and interesting, then he will realize that his equipment that he spent thousands of dollars for is not "plenty" And "all he will ever need" ....

I could literally strangle the guy that set me up if he was still alive ...

never let your own tunnel vision handicap others .........

now tell that to all the guys here shooting "specialty" bullets in 210, 215 and 230 gr bullets in "specialty" 10 twist tubes, .........

I have one here, waiting to go to the gunsmith, that is a 9.5" twist. If I could reorder it I would probably get a 9".

Not everybody makes the progression to true long range...the OP doesn't sound like he's there yet, and by the time he gets there...he'll likely need a new barrel (or 2) anyway.

And I'd never recommend a 30 caliber with less than 1 in 10"...that's a whole other monster.

Not everybody makes the progression to true long range...the OP doesn't sound like he's there yet, and by the time he gets there...he'll likely need a new barrel (or 2) anyway.

And I'd never recommend a 30 caliber with less than 1 in 10"...that's a whole other monster.
Why not? My 5R Milspec .308 Win is pushing 210 VLD's just fine with the 11.25 twist 24" barrel.

My .30-06 AI is pushign 185 VLD's nearly 2,900 fps out of a 26" 1:12 heavy barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.