Can you polish a barrel to make it more accurate ?

A little known fact about some very accurate barrels was about the 7.62 NATO Garand barrels made at the Springfield arsenal in MA for the US Navy. Single pass broach rifled 1:12 twist 4 groove barrels. Air gauged for groove diameters and those made near the end of life for the broach were about .3078". With 190 grain Sierra's over IMR4320 in primed new M118 match cases shot in well rebuilt match M1 rifles with such barrels, they tested under 4 inches at 600 yards. Bore surface was estimated at 30 to 40 microinch.

I have shot the Tubb Final Finish system through several barrels now and would absolutely recommend it. I have seen one barrel go from 2" to .75". Another from about 1.25"-1.5" down to .5". I have been pretty impressed, and clean up like a dream afterwards. Just my thoughts.

If it doesn't work, buy a new barrel.

Not seeing where it compares different micro-inch finishes to amount of copper, to show which is best. Am I missing something??
Contact the barrel makers asking about those details. I'm only aware of the under 16 microinch finish they use for best accuracy. And they notice more copper wash as it starts getting less than 5 to 8 microinch or thereabouts.

I have shot the Tubb Final Finish system through several barrels now and would absolutely recommend it. I have seen one barrel go from 2" to .75". Another from about 1.25"-1.5" down to .5". I have been pretty impressed, and clean up like a dream afterwards. Just my thoughts.

If it doesn't work, buy a new barrel.
Did you examine with a borescope prior to the TFF? I am curious how much is the polishing and how much is the deep clean aspect. Just spit-balling here

Fire Lapping is a last ditch move that works sometimes. Tubbs final finish is one product, no idea if it comes in .224.

Good Luck.
Good Morning. I read at a website belonging to one of the Major Barrel makers that,
"No fire lapping kits should be used in our barrels. This can damage the barrel and we will not warranty a barrel in any way."
Just sayin'.

Ok. Will look into that. I was hoping that I could buy some kind of tool that I could run down barrel and make it more accurate for $30.00 or so. It's hit or miss on these cheaper AR15 guns. I took a chance when I bought it boy worth the $381.00 chance. . Man these AR15 guns are cheap ! Gun shoes are full of them that are good name brands 500.00 to 650.00 ! MD
So you have 40 bucks in the barrel, but willing to pay 30 bucks plus shipping for an experiment?
I'm going to quit here.

Milo.... You need to be on some of those Midway USA commercials.
I bet you could sale some hack saws for Harry Potterfield. Be a lot cheaper than the welder. Ha ha ha. I think I am going to take some of the posters advice here and go with the fire lapping kit. I think I can buy a kit at gun show for $30.00. Milo.... I am going to fold my hand here. Your thinking way to much out of the box for me on this thread.
Ha ha ha. Don't want to drive Midway USA stock down to much. Ha ha ha. MD

NDAR15MAN, Marty, look into one of the good quality pre manufactured AR barrels at Brownells.com specifically the Brownell's house brand. they are made from 5R rifled Saturn Barrel blanks by Saturn Barrels. I have one on my AR and it can literally keep a 1/2" at 300 yards with my barrel and set up. I have used these barrels on 20+ AR's for customers. I have yet to have anyone say they could not keep great groups even with pencil barrels. the best part, most all the Saturn barrels with Brownell's stamped on them are under 150 dollars. Look into them.

Ok. Will look into that. I was hoping that I could buy some kind of tool that I could run down barrel and make it more accurate for $30.00 or so. It's hit or miss on these cheaper AR15 guns. I took a chance when I bought it boy worth the $381.00 chance. . Man these AR15 guns are cheap ! Gun shoes are full of them that are good name brands 500.00 to 650.00 ! MD
If you're sure your rifle is not shooting badly due to that particular kind of ammo then fire lap it. Use Tubbs lapping bullets $35. Follow the instructions on the box. Normally I only need about 1/3 the reccomend treatment. I have had excellent luck and fire lapping reduced the fouling making cleaning much easier.

NDAR15MAN, Marty, look into one of the good quality pre manufactured AR barrels at Brownells.com specifically the Brownell's house brand. they are made from 5R rifled Saturn Barrel blanks by Saturn Barrels. I have one on my AR and it can literally keep a 1/2" at 300 yards with my barrel and set up. I have used these barrels on 20+ AR's for customers. I have yet to have anyone say they could not keep great groups even with pencil barrels. the best part, most all the Saturn barrels with Brownell's stamped on them are under 150 dollars. Look into them.
You have a semi auto that shoots .16 moa at 300? With a $150 barrel? Sorry, but you either mis spoke or are not being honest.

An occasional .5" 3 shot group at 300 I can maybe believe, but consistent groups that size are simply not real with that setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.