Can you rethread a savage barrel to fit a tikka action?

mtwood24

I've got a savage barrel in 22 creedmoor. I'm wondering if it's possible to turn down the threads and rethread it to fit a tikka action with a barrel nut. The outside diameter of threads on this barrel is 1.055"x20tpi, and it sounds like tikka is 1"x 16tpi. Thanks for any insight!

I wouldn't do it. You would do better selling it and buying one of the take off barrels in 6.5CM they are selling all the time over on the Hide. Literally hundreds of people over there swap the practically new stock barrel for prefit custom barrels. They sell the takes offs. Put up a WTB in the classified and post it in the large tikka thread. Do the same here. The Tikka barrels IMO are a better finished and consistently accurate.

I wouldn't do it. You would do better selling it and buying one of the take off barrels in 6.5CM they are selling all the time over on the Hide. Literally hundreds of people over there swap the practically new stock barrel for prefit custom barrels. They sell the takes offs. Put up a WTB in the classified and post it in the large tikka thread. Do the same here. The Tikka barrels IMO are a better finished and consistently accurate.
This!

This is an x-caliber barrel that I have, not really a throw away. I really want the 22 creedmoor still, not interested in a 6.5. I have a friend with a lathe and ability. I'm just trying to find out if turning down the existing threads will leave me with enough material to rethread to fit the tikka

I would ask in the gunsmith forum then. Looking at the specs it looks like it could be 5 thou short after clean up but I have never actually looked at it and am far from calling myself a gun smith and even further from a machinist.

I figured it was a stock savage barrel not an afternarket.. Since it's not a shouldered barrel but a lock nut it has much longer length of threading vs a typical inch or so. If you clean up and it does not work you would have to lose how much to cut off and rechamber and thread? Do you even have enough full diameter to rethread if you had to cut off all the threading. Then have to rent/borrow a reamer.

That's always the risk if you bugger it up. I am good at achieving that so I always eee it as a possible outcome.

You could always ask Xcaliber as they do both threading prefits.

This is an x-caliber barrel that I have, not really a throw away. I really want the 22 creedmoor still, not interested in a 6.5. I have a friend with a lathe and ability. I'm just trying to find out if turning down the existing threads will leave me with enough material to rethread to fit the tikka
Let your friend determine if it is feasible and safe.

This is a math problem, not an opinion.

Awesome resource for thread specs - http://theoreticalmachinist.com/Threads_UnifiedImperial.aspx

Plug in your threads and it'll give you the data to see what the Tikka threads need to be. Next step, you have your existing barrel, measure it with a thread micrometer, wires, etc and then figure out if the Tikka minimums will be below your existing threads.

Then look for a tenon length issue…that messes with headspace.

There is a lot to look at and hard to give an exact answer without having your barrel in hand. The Tikka tenon prints are out there and have proven to be very consistent, hence the reason the prefits work.

Good luck, here is my opinion part…if you're paying your buddy to do this…It's the same amout of work (less really) to do a new blank with less risks in my opinion on getting a next level straight chamber.

Sell it, sounds like it shoots good, and buy a new one and let him do that one.