New Barrel Won't Fit into Savage Action

I don't know if you can see these very good. This is an axis is this what you all have seen it looks like could be some sort of blasting media?

Attachments

• IMG_20180313_124748415.jpg
    IMG_20180313_124748415.jpg
    834.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20180313_124741575.jpg
    IMG_20180313_124741575.jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20180313_124732745.jpg
    IMG_20180313_124732745.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 141
Wow yours does look like that is what you found.

My first Axis, the pieces came out more like castings of the threads. To be honest I didn'
Pay a lot of attention to the second one. I knew something was going to be there so I acted accordingly.

I was running late last night and forgot to grab the barrel to snap a pic or two.

I don't know if you can see these very good. This is an axis is this what you all have seen it looks like could be some sort of blasting media?
I have taken off dozens of savage barrels. They all have the media blasting beads in them. Some worse than others. Just part of their process.

I'm assuming this is media that was used to clean the receiver threads before barrel installation but the media itself was never cleaned off before the barrel was installed? Where I used to work we used a copper pipe dope that had flakes of metal in the dope to help lock the the threads with torque ranges up to 90k ft pds but I would think that same process would not be ideal on a precision rifle with fine threads.

You mean
Never Sieze/ Anti sieze. If you have ever experienced stainless on stainless galling you will use it every time.

I use it on every barrel thread.

I understand the use and importance of anti seize. I was just asking if this media found when breaking barrels from receivers was meant to be left on there by the factory or it was just never cleaned out properly?

there are two kinds of anti seize and never seize out there. Yet the same outfit owns both. Forget the Loctite Anti Seize!! But Never Seize with Nickle. One small can will last you years and years. Will take heat, and actually doubles the torque value.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts