info. on 7mm-08 AI

jotrot

looking for feed back on 7mm-08 AI, what kind of gains can be expected with 140's and 150's out of 24in. barrel.
thinking my version of a mt. rifle in this caliber.

thanks for your time

joel

looking for feed back on 7mm-08 AI, what kind of gains can be expected with 140's and 150's out of 24in. barrel.
thinking my version of a mt. rifle in this caliber.

thanks for your time

joel

The Ai will add about the same velocity that a lighter bullet in the 7/08 (7/08 with a 120 around 3000 ft/sec. 7/08 Ai with a 140 grain bullet = 3050)

So the AI would add somewhere around 150 ft/sec to the standard 7/08 with most bullets.

J E CUSTOM

As an alternative you could rechamber to the 284 win. I wouldn't rechamber to either one unless I tried a dummy round in the gun to see how it fed.

An inexpensive way to get closer to 7-08AI performance is to switch to RL-17.

A few more comments about a 7/08 AI.

First, If you are re barreling or building from scratch the 7/08 AI would be a good choice over the standard 7/08 because not only would it up the velocity, the brass will last longer because of the 40o shoulder and the added case capacity will allow you to use other/slower powders.

There is an efficiency advantage in the AI cases (Less powder to get more velocity) and many bench rest shooters believe that the 35o to 40o shoulder is more accurate.

It is also a good way to clean up a poor 7/08 chamber when you set the barrel shoulder back 1 thread you clean up the lead angle and the throat. and no modifications to your receiver would be necessary. Some feel that feeding becomes a problem but I have never had a feeding problem with the 40o shoulder.

I don't look for velocity gain when I go to an AI cartridge, I look for total performance in the size of certain cartridges. There are many cartridges that are faster than the 7/08 or the 7/08 AI so it becomes a choice of performance and recoil as to which cartridge is best for you.

J E CUSTOM

I would imagine the gains to be very similar to what I get from my 260AI which is 150-200fps depending on the bullet and powder used. The main benefit I can see with changing to the AI version would be gaining just enough case capacity to push the 168 class bullets to a reasonable velocity.

I would imagine the gains to be very similar to what I get from my 260AI which is 150-200fps depending on the bullet and powder used. The main benefit I can see with changing to the AI version would be gaining just enough case capacity to push the 168 class bullets to a reasonable velocity.

That is correct. Plus, case life is much better, and SDs appear to be better. I also find that the AI cases are more forgiving for different loads and powders.(There is normally more than one good load that can be found).

PO Ackley new what he was doing for sure.

J E CUSTOM

As an alternative you could rechamber to the 284 win. I wouldn't rechamber to either one unless I tried a dummy round in the gun to see how it fed.

An inexpensive way to get closer to 7-08AI performance is to switch to RL-17.
Great advice. With the .284win seeing a resurgence in popularity factory ammo is becoming available again which I always consider a plus.

You can also check Kenny Jarrett's website. I believe this is one of his "pet calibers" as well. I've talked to his son before about the 280 AI. They are very helpful and informative.

A few more comments about a 7/08 AI.

First, If you are re barreling or building from scratch the 7/08 AI would be a good choice over the standard 7/08 because not only would it up the velocity, the brass will last longer because of the 40o shoulder and the added case capacity will allow you to use other/slower powders.

There is an efficiency advantage in the AI cases (Less powder to get more velocity) and many bench rest shooters believe that the 35o to 40o shoulder is more accurate.

It is also a good way to clean up a poor 7/08 chamber when you set the barrel shoulder back 1 thread you clean up the lead angle and the throat. and no modifications to your receiver would be necessary. Some feel that feeding becomes a problem but I have never had a feeding problem with the 40o shoulder.

I don't look for velocity gain when I go to an AI cartridge, I look for total performance in the size of certain cartridges. There are many cartridges that are faster than the 7/08 or the 7/08 AI so it becomes a choice of performance and recoil as to which cartridge is best for you.

J E CUSTOM

+1. Could not have said it better. I run 162 Amax's in mine and it is a great combo. Plan on testing 150 LRAB's as soon as I get time.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.