7mm-08 AI?

Hunter2678

Ok, so Ive got the bug to build a 7mm for noting more than shooting steel plates at 250 - 1000 yds here at a central oh range. I've got the candidates narrowed down to 2 rounds right now. 7-08 & AI and the 284 win. I know the .284 is a hammer at the 1000 yd game but the little 7-08, esp the 08 AI intrigues me. Does anyone have some real life trigger time with the 7-08 AI round in particular? Both have their merits & Ive read up on the 7mm's on accurate shooter but the 7-08 info is fairly limited. Any and all info on the subject is welcome.

I'd like to shoot the 162 amax and berger 168/175/180s out of my unfinished # 29.5 inch barrel. Would a 28 inch finished tube be perfect for squeezin out the max velocity in the standard 7-08?

Last edited:
I had a 7-08AI built by LongRifles Inc. early last year. Rem 700 action that was trued and timed 28inch brl . It would shoot 180's at around 2850. The rifle itself was way more accurate than me. I could ring out sub 1/2 inch groups off of some sandbags. Never had the chance to get it on an actual rest set-up

Thanks JWP, I could easily live with that speed with the 180s. What powder? Any pressure issues? what was the chamber specs on that ?..lotta ?s huh?...:)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.