Independent tracking system....who else has it??

fourinone

I've been trying to decide on a scope and wonder if any of you know if some of the scopes I mention have an independent tracking system for the elevation/windage adjustments. I've read that the Weaver "Grand Slam" series & Weaver Tach. scopes have what they call "Micro-Trac 4" Which their tech support guy told me you could make any adjustments to elevation or windage and not have any effect on the other. I'm wondering about the; Elite 4200?, Nikon Buckmaster w/side focas?, Nikon Monarch? or even any of the Mueller scopes? Please let me know what is out there...it would be interesting to know who has it and who don't in any of the brands. Thanks for any help!

Update: I found out that the Weaver Tactical Series does not have the "Micro Tract 4" system in it. I was just about to buy one and realized there was no mention of it in the item description and called Weaver to confirm. Weaver said that the "Micro Tract" came out after the now discontinued Tactical Series. However I did fail to mention that their
T-Series has the Micro-Tract in it also.
Anyway I realize this subject didn't bring about any other input from any of you...so please forgive me for continuing the same subject. I waited too long to edit my original post and just didn't want to leave any "KNOWN" mis-information for anyone who may consider this in buying or not buying a particular scope.
P.S. For those of you that may have any experience with any of the WEAVERS that do have Micro Tract...Are they a long term reliable scope?? Thanks

I have a Grand Slam 6.5-20X and it is very repeatable. I dropped a Savage 10FP onto a concrete floor from about 4 feet (it fell off my bench) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and the scope tube got bent. I sent it to Weaver with a note explaining what had happened, and asked for an estimate for repair. Believe it or not, 12 days after I sent the scope in with a note acknowledging that I dropped the rifle and bent the scope Weaver sent a brand new Grand Slam to replace it--no questions asked. I was quite impressed to say the least.

I do wish Weaver would put the Micro-Trac system on their tactical scopes. (And that surprises me to learn that they have not done that; I thought the tactical scopes had the Micro-Trac)...

Simply put, the patented Micro-Trac system is likely the unadmitted envy of every other scope maker on the planet. It's ingenious, and is the standard by which any other erector system regardless of price is judged.

This all said, there are plenty of other scopes on the market which do a very good job of tracking with their single spring erector system. As I've mentioned elsewhere, my Bushnell Elite 10X tracks extremely well, and has satisfied me on many occasions (except when I dialed down one turn too many and ended up about a foot low at 100 yards on a deer) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ...

Dan

fourinone,
Scope adjustment tracking is really dependant on the way the erector tube is sized, against the size of the bearing surfaces of the elevation, windage, and tension spring.

On poorly designed units, these bearing surfaces are undersized, allowing the erector tube to slip over/past one of the other bearing points.

As an example let's say we have the erector centered, then dial in 100% of the down elevation.
If the assemblies are correctly designed nothing happens. If the surfaces are too small proportional to the erector diameter, the tension spring will "ride up' the side of the erector tube, trapping the erector and giving both the elevation adjustment you wanted, and an unplanned windage adjustment.
Once your scope does something like this, you correct by backing out both adjustments to their outward extreme ( up for elev and right for windage) and then recenter the reticle, and rezero the rifle.
In newer designs this almost cannot happen in all but the cheapest scopes. Weaver just points out that they properly designed their scope and use that information as a very good marketing tool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Update:I was just about to buy one and realized there was no mention of it in the item description

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is the Tactical you passed on? They're like hen's teeth to find.

My Tactical seems to be tracking just fine and I've had nothing but good reports on the tactical from reputable folks. I bought it on those recommendations and its doing fine. The 338 Win w/brake trashed a lesser scope in less than 10 rounds.

If I tho't that any of the weavers with the micro Trac thing would be as robust as the tactical I'd consider one.

[ QUOTE ]

Simply put, the patented Micro-Trac system is likely the unadmitted envy of every other scope maker on the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]I dont know the Weavers - but a similar (very similar) system was being used by a leading Russian military manufacturer until earlier this year (only they were ahead in that they used coil springs) - they've gone back to single diagonal spring. And similar systems are still used by VOMZ in Rissia who use two springs in tension but to a single anchor - this in a USD120 scope.

The main issue is the turret adjuster plate - if it's wide enough then there is generally no issue - I doubt (personally) that USOptics and S&B would pass this sort if thing over if they thought it gave an advantage.

Thanks for all of the replies, I'll call and confirm with the supplier to see if they do in fact have inventory on the Weaver Tach. scope. If so I'll go ahead and order one and let you know for sure if they still have them or not. I seen it on their web page as an "in stock item" a few days ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.