Does this Mark 4 has tracking problem?

Desert Fox

Tested my Mark 4 today how good it track and below was the result. Shooting two sighter at the center target to established zero I'm suppose to dial 3 MOA up and 3 MOA right to shoot at the upper right hand target but got totally confused on the windage. Does the Mark 4 has .25 MOA/click or .5 MOA/clicks. So I dialed 6 clicks right and discovered my mistake as you can see in the target. Continuing with my test I dialed 6 MOA down to shoot at the next target at the lower right hand corner and then 6 MOA left to the lower left hand target then 6 MOA up to the upper left hand target and then 3 MOA right and 3 MOA down to arrive at the center target. As you can see further testing is neccessary but I think this scope tracks well. what do you think guys?

IMGP0753.jpg

What a mess. You are all over that target. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you. A better test than a "box test" is verticle rise. Test for plumb and actual rise verses clicks. Is 40 clicks really 10" at 100 yards? Most are not exact.

HG, I didn't shoot for groups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I just want to find out how the scope track. I will try it again this weekend and this time I will tighten it a bet. I did this thing lackadaisically.

With due respect to those who try boxing a scope to check it's tracking, the "shoot a box" method is not very good. If your scope has 1/4th MOA clicks, you must be able to shoot your rifle and ammo no worse than 1/4th MOA to get reliable results. It's the same as measuring something to 1/4th of an inch accuracy when your ruler's graduated only in 1-inch segments.

A better and more accurate way to check your scope for tracking is to solidly anchor your rifle/scope in something (or put a collimator in the muzzle) then look through the scope and move 10 clicks up, right, left and down. It should come back to exactly the same point. Moving it 2 clicks the same way may be a better method.

This non-shooting test works best with higher magnification scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.