In Honor of police dog, Zach

mtnwrunner

July 6th, 1988. A day which will stay with me forever.
The only reason that I am on the face of the earth is because of a dog that saved my life---he paid the ultimate sacrifice and took four bullets to save his master.
This is a hard day for me, it always has been and always will be. I ALWAYS remember it like it was yesterday.
I know that this is a hunting forum but I have made quite a few friends from it and thought that I would share this day..............
I can't figure out how to post a link here but if you are interested in seeing more---just do an internet search on "police dog Zach."
To make a long story short, I was a deputy sheriff and a K9 handler for the King County Sheriffs office in the metropolitan Seattle area. One of our patrol units got into a chase with a car for a variety of reasons and the suspect was wanted for numerous armed felonies as well as conspiracy to commit murder out of Utah. He bailed out of the car and ran into the woods---he was a three strikes and you're gone guy and he was not going back to prison. We got the call and responded---just a routine run of the mill K9 call for that area. We tracked him and I knew we would find him being the way Zach acted. When Zach found the suspect, he shot him four times during the struggle instantly killing him, however during the struggle, he also managed to shoot himself in the head. He later died at a nearby hospital.
I know there are most likely numerous other folks on this site that have been through alot more---especially the guys that are in the military and in law inforcement. BUT-----Zach was my partner, my friend and my dog. I owe him my life.

July 6th, 1988
May you rest in peace----I'll see you again.

Randy

Randy,

I'm sure Zach lived a happy life with you and enjoyed his service to the community. He'll forever be in your heart.

Thanks for sharing.

RIP Zach and thank you for your great service.

V/R

Ed

I read that write up a few years ago when you and I spoke on the telephone. I've thought about it many times..
Being a K9 handler in the past, I can relate to your feelings. Know that Zach will be at your side once again, to serve and protect you.
We have the utmost respect for Zach, and his service.

Randy Thanks for Sharing your story. I am so sorry for your loss of Zach. I have owned and trained many dogs. I once owned a registered kennels and training facility. I have had many dogs that were much better friends than some people. Both you and Zach are heroes in my mind. You took care of something that needed done dispite the huge danger for both of you. In the end it hard to say how many lives have been saved as a result of your bravory. You both did your jobs well. Thank you, to both you and Zach for doing this for us.

Jeff

Randy,

Thanks for posting. It is those kinds of events that 'make the man.' Good to get to know you a bit better.

Its the good deeds of this life that bring rewards in the next. This goes especially for those fortunate enough to be selected for special duties and then do them. Zach is one of those kinds of creations.

Keep your memories. they will always serve you well.

Roy

Sorry for your loss those years ago!! Zach lives in you and your memory!! Never forget him or your relationship and he lives through you!!!
Thank you for sharing and for bother of your service to your community. It takes a special person to build that relationship and trust with a dog like that. It is even more special to be an office and put your life on the line for other people.
Thank you to you both!!!!!

Mario

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.