IMR4227 6.5 Creedmoor? 308?

General RE LEE

There are some jugs of IMR4227 at a local dealer available. It's a magnum pistol powder but also listed can be used in rifles? Would this powder provide ample velocities for 6.5 Creedmoor or 308?

I use the IMR 4227 in 37 Mag pistol. Just a glance through my 308 loading data & I don't find IMR 4227 listed from any loading manual.

Back in the old days you used to see loading data for reduced loads in rifle cartridges with IMR 4227 but in the last 20 or more years there have been a lot of better powders produced for that. Trail Boss is one of the many.

If you google 4227 and the cartridge you want to shoot reduced loads in you will probably find some data but as I already said there are many newer powders better suited for reduced loads and some are particularly designed for that.

IMR 4227 I have used it for 357 Mag. pistol loads, Have used IMR 4227 in 22 Hornet and 218 Bee rifle loads.
It is listed No. 65 on the IMR Powder Burn Rate Chart.
A 1967 Hornady Loading Manual, lists loads for 22 Hornet, 218 Bee and 221 Fireball for small bore loads, And a couple loads for 45-70 Government.
It is to fast burning powder for 308 Win. and 6.5 Creedmoor.

The old tan paper IMR freebee load data listed nearly IMR powder with every cartridge available at the time. It was a bit odd to see 1/2 and 2/3 case worth of powder called for but most of the loads worked alright. I'm pretty sure the creed wasn't around when that data was out but the 260 or at least 6.5x55 probably were shown. As others have said there are far better powders available now for reduced loading. You risk issues associated with very low powder levels like delayed fire and big vel. swings depending on powder position. Dacron can fix a bit of that but it can mess up a rifle too if not used correctly.

It will work fine for reduced loads with cast or jacketed bullets.

"IMR4227 also works great for even milder varmint and big game loads than possible with IMR4895. I've used it in cases up to the .375 H&H, using a combination suggested by Tom Brownlee ("Ingwe" on the Campfire) for the 220-grain Hornady jacketed flat-nose, and Lyman's cast-bullet manual lists loads for the .222 and .22-250 Remington, .243 Winchester and .30-06. Because IMR4227's faster burning than IMR4895, you'll save a little money since powder charges will be smaller."

You can buy an excellent reprint of the original Lyman Cast Bullet Manual on Ebay.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.