6.5 creedmoor

H 414 Has been one of my favorites for the 6.5's and 7/08's but is no longer sold. When Hodgdon bought out Winchester powders they discontinued marketing it as H414 because the W 760 is the same powder and Hodgdon was buying the Ball powder from winchester and selling both would be redundant.

If you look up loading data on Hodgdon's re loading site, You will see that loads for both powders are the exact same in performance, pressure, grains and velocity.

Here is some data.

The only downside to ether powders are their heat sensitivity.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I tried load development with a Christensen Arms Mesa, 6.5 CM, 1:8 twist, 22" barrel with W760, StaBall 6.5, H4831, H4350 and IMR 4350. The W760, StaBall and the H4831 all grouped .6-1.0 moa, decent ES. The H4350 and the IMR 4350 both grouped .3-.4 moa, with single digit ES with the H4350. I wanted to like the W760 since it's a ball powder and would meter better in my Dillon 550, but it just didn't work as well.

I shot a ladder test with W760 and 130 grain Berger AR Hybrids. I found a wide velocity node between 40.1 and 40.7 grains. Groups shot with 40.4 and 40.7 were in the .6-.7 moa range, but I was not satisfied with getting only 2,750 out of a 26" barrel especially when RL16 pushes the same bullet to 2,977 with single digit ES and SD.

For hunting it is just fine. Many commercial Winchester cartridges use this powder. I always use a magnum primer. Meters +- 1/10 from my old Lyman 55s and shoots 1 moa with Barnes 130s in my Kimber walkabout 6.5 CM.

The most accurate load I have ever developed was W760 in a 6.5 Creed with 140 Hybrids. I don't use it anymore simply because I built the creed as a test rifle of sorts. I wanted to try as many primer, powder and bullet combos as possible. My load was either 40 or 41 grains I would need to double check but man it shot well out of my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.