I'm new. Looking for opinions...

Sabre

I\'m new. Looking for opinions...

Hello, I'm new to LR hunting
smile.gif
. I have a new 300WSM rifle and am shopping for a scope. I like the Leupold Tacticals and the IORs. The rifle is a Savage 10. Not the greatest for long-range work but certainly capable (and not budget-breaking to start out with). I plan on taking mostly whitetail deer out to maybe 500. I'm interested in shooting on varmints as far out as possible. Just sanity check me here. Does anybody forsee any problems with my proposed set-up?

Re: I\'m new. Looking for opinions...

Sabre
The only thing that I will tell you is to make sure that you buy nice so you don't have to but twice. I know sounds corny but I have tried to save money before and usually comes back to get me in the wallet. I like leupold but that is not the only good scope out there. I like the 4.5x14x40 Leupold but if you are trying to save money ask Jay about the Burris Scopes probably can't go wrong with them either.

i like leupold myself, but theres others out there that will do you just as much justice. thats a can of worms i'm not about to open as you'll soon find out optics is a very touchy subject around here.

i have the 8.5X25 on my LR rig. i dont foresee anyone saying that wont work- in fact, less than that will definitely work. this is my advice though, whatever level you think you need, buy the one the next step up- whether that be brand of scope, or type within that brand. reason being- if you dont, chances are you'll just do it some other time down the road anyway, might as well save the hassle. you might dump your current rig to get something better, but if you get a nice set of glass now, you dont have to worry about it later. a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. listen to what the other guys say for suggestions, think about what you think you need, then buy the next one up. you can never go wrong with a quality scope.

-brian

Mountain Man gave very good advice, I second it too. I believe that's probably the best way to go about it.

MM, Where were you when I bought my first scope, I really could have used that suggestion ya know.
grin.gif
smile.gif

here and there, working OT so i could afford a nice scope. i once read- not sure who or where, but- "i'm too poor to buy cheap stuff." its the truth too. i dont have a ton of money, so i just save and get quality, that way i dont have to replace it 3 times just to end up with what i should have bought in the beginning.

Sabre, I like my Lupy 3.5-10 on my 708 and the Burris scopes on the rest of my rifles, none have failed me yet, do alot of research and looking through all the scopes you can get your hands on. Everybody on this site knows I prefer Burris Signatures, cause I believe they offer the same type of quality as Leupold at a more reasonable price, comparing with my buddies Leupolds of similar power ranges. If you can afford a Leupold Tactical, get it, outstanding scopes, If I had your rifle, I'd put the same scope I got on my 6mm, a 4x-16x Sig. w/Bal. Mil-Dot, and have Burris put some Target knobs on it for 80 bucks, cha-ching, your total is $560 plus shipping. My wife would string me up If I bought a $1200 scope.
grin.gif
Jay.

Sabre

You cannot go wrong with the Leupolds or NF at $700 plus. However they are top price, but you can also buy a very nice Burris, Nikon, B & L 3200 or 4200 for several hundred less and used for $300 all the time.

If you like to shoot varmints and your deer hunting is not in the "brush" look at the 6-18,6-20 or 6-24x powers as they give you a little more visibility power for LR varmint hunting.

You can buy a good scope (not the best, but more than adequate) for $400 tops and have another $300-400 for bedding and trigger on your gun or rangefinder.

BH

Your philosophy is a good one. I would suggest you look through as many scopes as possible. Brands like Bushnell Elite, Leupold, IOR, Burris, Nikon and Pentax are all excellent scopes. However, how the glass looks to you matters.

I wear glasses and find certain brands to work better for my eyes. I love the Bushnell Elite 4200 series of scopes and for my eyes are better then anything looked at so far. For some of my friends, they see through Leuppy better.

Upper end scopes all work well. The decision should balance price and what you see.

Jerry

I have to throw my .02 in with the Burris 4-16. If you shop around you can get one for $350ish. Spend the saved $ on bedding (or aftermarket pillar bedded stock) & trigger if you have it to part with. Savages can be remarkably accurate with a little TLC.
If (for some unknown reason) the 16x top end isn't high enough for you. Consider the Sightron 6-25. Optics are excelent and the price is in the same ball park. I got mine on sale for $300 a few months back and still can't believe the clarity compaired to even my Burris. .243 bullet holes @ 250 yards are easy to see if there's minimal mirrage.
Coyoter

I recently bought the new Leupold VX2, 6-18, fine duplex, with target knobs. The scope was all of $430.00. They have multi coat 4 on the outside glass, which is a little improvement over the older VX2's. Mine works great. It is super clear, crisp, not to big, and tracks well. I dont think you could go wrong with whatever you choose, as long as its a good quality scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.