looking for a new gun.

one crazy kid

I have bin looking for a new gun for black bears and mule deer. I am considering the t/c venture weathershield savage axis stainless and the weatherby vanguard. as for caliber I was looking at 300 win mag 7mm-08 or 7mm rem mag. I would like some input on witch of these you guys would suggest.

I have bin looking for a new gun for black bears and mule deer. I am considering the t/c venture weathershield savage axis stainless and the weatherby vanguard. as for caliber I was looking at 300 win mag 7mm-08 or 7mm rem mag. I would like some input on witch of these you guys would suggest.

Id pick the 280 Rem. It does the same thing as the 7mm REM Mag on bears and large deer, but with less ruckus on the shooter's shoulder. Another option is to get a 7mm Mag and handload. You would instantly have a 7x57, 7mm-08, 280 Rem, and the 7mm Mag in one rifle.
I should mention that I have taken more game with the 270 Win than another caliber. It, the 280 and the 30-06 will never be a bad choice for the game you want to shoot.
WYLD

Of the three you mentioned, I would go with the 300 Win Mag in a savage or the Vanguard.

J E CUSTOM

thank you for your input. I will defiantly be looking at getting 280 also what about win short mags is there any advantage to be had by getting one of them vs there standard brothers?

The short mags are a fad that appears to be fading. The cartridge and components costs for the standard calibers cost less. The short-fat cartridges do work through shorter magazines, but loose some inherent capabilities due to their bullets being deeply seated in the case. [This is fully explained, along with one solution, in the book, "Sporting Firearms,' available from Amazon. com] The standard cartridges are available in many brands, and have a proven reliability and availability record.
WYLD

what about browning rifles are they worth the price?

While Browning makes some nice rifles, there are very few aftermarket accessories/custom part for them. Also, there are not many gunsmiths that do a lot of work with Brownings. The most popular action is the Remington 700. There are more custom accessories for them than any other. Also, every gunsmith works on 700s.

Long way to say that one of your considerations should be adaptability in the future. Savage and Remington are the best options.

As for the cartridges you listed, I would not deviate from anything that J E Custom says. Choose 300win mag.

Browning rifles work just fine. It's a matter of personal taste and your pocket book when it comes to buying a rifle. All of the name brand rifles work well. Pick one that you feel will serve you the best over a long period of time. One thing to consider is the resale value of lesser known or currently unpopular brands will be considerable less if you decide to sell or trade.
RF

I have a browning 300 wm, weatherby vangard 257 wthby, anda tikka 22-250 all shoot 1/2" orless with reloads. Pick a gun that feels good and load it to shoot good. Don't have a savage yet but bear they are accurate also. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.