I'm in the Edge Aussie club

Funny that. I wonder what that might be.
In all seriousness though if it wasn't for your help and finding this site I would have never got right into this long range caper and probably would have ended up buying one of those MLR rifles.

I know I'm not an Aussie but Kiwis are close enough :D

I have had my Edge going for a couple of months now & have fired 200+ rounds :)

I'm very happy with it, I have made it light under 9.5 lbs.

30" Truflight 1-9 sendero profile 8 flute.
Rem 700 action.
McMillan Hunters Edge carbon stock.
Allen 3 port brake.
6.5-20x50 VX3.
Aluminium rail.
Warne rings.

I know I'm not an Aussie but Kiwis are close enough :D

I have had my Edge going for a couple of months now & have fired 200+ rounds :)

Rem 700 action.
Allen 3 port brake.
6.5-20x50 VX3.
Aluminium rail.
Warne rings.
Yeah Greg, Close enough, actually most Kiwi's now live in Queensland don't they? How about you post a photo of your rifle.
How do you find the Truflight barrel, are they any good?
What bullet are you using?
Have you shot any game with it yet?
Should turn a Sika deer inside out.

I use 300 SMK HBN coated, 94.5 H1000, cci 250 primers, 2850 fps depending on conditions crony etc, have yet to validate it on Exbal.
Will have an extended mag box soon.
I have only shot targets & rocks so far, no animals yet, scared some rabbits @ 500 odd yards recently :D

Might have to figure out how to post pictures soonish :)

Its nicer to shoot with the Edge stock as it actually has a recoil pad not a bit of old truck tyre like the Sendero stock :D

I look forward to seeing a few pics Greg. Its pretty easy with the pics. Just upload them to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket copy the direct link then press the insert image icon when posting and insert link.
I am actually going over to NZ on the 5th of Feb however its for some hunting underwater rather than on land. Doing a spearfishing trip out to White island for a week chasing big kingies then am off to the Chatham islands chasing hapuka followed by few days at Opito bay getting scallops, paua, crays and john dory. Well thats the plan anyway.

My gun is shooting pretty good already. We went to Silverdale and it was 40 degrees plus. There was heaps of mirage too which made the targets slightly blury. Was doing the run in which sucks and only got one 3 round group in at 200. Still went .5 MOA including the fowling round which consistently shoots to the right. It can only get better from there and besides 1/2 MOA is still good enough.
Matt

200target.jpg

Looks pretty good Matt, cheers for the link :)

I'm waiting for the scope, rings, magbox & light weight firing pin to show up from the states, when I have got them & the rifle is finally in its final form I will post some pics.

I have been using another VX III & the now redundant MK 4 off my .416 on it up till now.
I have a spare centre feed mag box I got from Shawn but the bullets don't need to be that long & the bolt needs to come way out of the reciever to accomodate it, also with the Edge stock not having bottom metal it was looking like it might be a bit silly to use it.

I might build another one & use the Sendero stock & the centre feed box :)

There is no such thing as to many guns :) or toys for that matter :D

Hi Guys..

Another Edge is on its way.
I have left my Model 700 300 Ultra action at the gunsmith.
Specs so far .. (hopefully finished in 3 to 5 months)

388 Edge Standard with .370 neck

Remington 700 300 Rum action
Lawton 28 inch .338 match barrel stainless Sendero Profile Cut rifling
True action- full accuracy job cutting new threads etc.
V port Brake fron Nate on this forum (next size up from vaporiser)
Wyatts extended Mag Box
Seekins 20 Moa scope rail 8x40 screws retap receiver
Tactical bolt knob upgrade to existing bolt
gun kote baked finish.
B&C 700 BDL Varmint Vertical grip black with black stipple. 14.5 inches of pull option (#2096)
Remington spring and sear kit to update old style trigger to 1lb
Night Force 5. to 22 x50 in N/F rings
DE ACI combo (replaces rear N/F top ring)
Chamber and cut to suit 300gn Berger/ 300 smk.
Heavy duty recoil lug

Upgrades for later (wish list)

Manners stock and Jewell trigger.

I cant wait to get it... Then the Accumark will go in for an upgrade!

Last edited:
Sounds good Herb,

Its going to be a long 3 to 5 months waiting for that baby, but the wait will be worth it. :D

I know I'm not an Aussie but Kiwis are close enough

I have had my Edge going for a couple of months now & have fired 200+ rounds

Rem 700 action.
Allen 3 port brake.
6.5-20x50 VX3.
Aluminium rail.
Warne rings.

As promised here are some photos :)
I put NF rings on her because they are lighter, Total finished weight is 9.5 lbs.
338Edge002.jpg

338Edge001.jpg

338Edge003.jpg

338edge001-1.jpg

I shot that group last weekend, no need to say I was very happy, I only hope I can do it again:D

Last edited:
Well my Edge finally got its first Sambar. Very even and heavy for its size and it will be my first mount to hang off the wall. Shot was pretty close at 324m/354yards.
P1010967.jpg

MDP,
Well done. Sure is a nice Sambar. It will look great on your wall.

Can you give us a description of the hunt, bullet selection, load, bullet performance etc...........

I just ripped this off the post I put up on Ozdeer.
Once again I found myself on the long drive down to the Vic high country. After stocking up I arrived at camp just after lunchtime and set up camp ready for the first evenings glassing. The first arvo was fairly slow.I spent most of the time watching a fox hunting. In the end I saw five deer. One was a small stag or spiker and there was a large bodied animal which came out too late to make out any antlers. Next day the morning was uneventful and fog made it difficult but I saw nine deer in the arvo. There was a young 4 point stag but nothing decent showed up. Day three was fogged out in the morning but when I got to my favorite lookout at 3pm conditions were perfect and I had a good feeling about what might show its self. It was quite overcast and hardly a breath of wind.

I set up the swaros on the tripod and started glassing. Some hinds with a couple of young ones turned up as well as a spiker. I was trying get a bit of footage of the spiker trying unsuccessfully to get a look in with a hind. As I shut the camera it was a bit loud. I looked to my right and there was a hind staring at me from 400m. I remained still for about 10mins until it resumed feeding and I turned back to the six or seven deer on the other side of the river. Something spooked the deer a short time later and I wondered if they had scented me. I glanced down to the right again and saw a large dark shape out in the open. I swung the glasses around and sure enough it was a stag. It looked pretty good and I started shaking straight away. I was really annoyed about it and tried to calm my nerves as best I could. I ranged it at 324m and tried to get a good rest. Unfortunately the stag moved behind a tree and I had to relocate to get a clear shot. I didn't have as good a rest as I would have liked but tried to stop the shaking and took the shot.

I heard the thump of a solid hit but the deer ran off. I decided to give it till morning as I had a horror story from the year before after trying to find a deer in failing light. After a terrible nights sleep I eventually located where the deer was standing and started to look for a blood trail. After finding no blood and with tracks impossible to read I decided to just start walking in the direction that I though it had run. After walking about 100m and still finding no blood I was getting pretty worried when I spotted a hoof sticking up. What a relief. Its not a huge head but very beautiful with a little bit of over spread, ten inch bases and beams just shy of 24 inches. I caped it out and recovered as much meat as possible.

I am stoked with it for a first sambar stag and to make the trip even better I found three casts including a matching pair a couple of days later.

Load was 300SMK with 92gn of ADI's AR2217

As promised here are some photos :)
I put NF rings on her because they are lighter, Total finished weight is 9.5 lbs.
338Edge002.jpg

338Edge001.jpg

338Edge003.jpg

338edge001-1.jpg

I shot that group last weekend, no need to say I was very happy, I only hope I can do it again:D

Holy smoke... What a group !

Neice shooting kiwi !

How do you find the spikes on the bipod vs the rubber feet ?

Cheers

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.