I'm going to cash in 14 WY elk points...but where??

cooperjd

I have waited a long time to elk hunt in wyoming. I started building points years ago dreaming of hunting with wagonhound. Watching Primos and Realtree videos told me this was the place to be.
Fast forward well over a decade and i have a wife, kid, mortgage, etc....and spending that kind of money on a guided hunt isn't feasible.

Also, I lived and hunted in CO for the past 8 years, so I'm comfortable DIY'ing the hunt now.

Even spending the $8-9k it would take to hunt some of the NW units in the wilderness isn't feasible, so this will be a DIY event.

BUT WHERE???

This will likely be an archery hunt, as I am ASSUMING there will be a little less pressure.

I can draw a bunch of units. I would like a unit where I have the possibility to kill a nice bull, let's say 325"+. More importantly, though, I want to have a good, fun hunt. As I get older the exact inches mean less and less, and the experience means more and more. However, I will never build this many points in any state again, so I do want a decent opportunity to find mature bulls.

I can still draw unit 7, though it seems to be pounded and I'm not sure I'll get away from pressure.

Unit 11 looks interesting as well, as does 38, 39, 45 up north by Sheridan.

Any suggestions out there of other places for me to be looking?

Would a rifle hunt in some units be a better use of my points? I've never actually killed an elk with a rifle, only bow kills. So i'm not necessarily opposed to rifle hunting, I just figure there will be less booming going on and hopefully there will be quality animals left on public dirt.
Thank you for any input!

Last edited:
I would go with a central area. From 7 further west if you can draw those units.

If you decide on 38 and get drawn p.m me. I hunted it in 2021, alot of people but there were alot of elk too. 300" is doable and upto 320.
You can get away from most of the people if you dont mind working at it.

Thanks for all the replies and PM's.

I ended up going for the type 9 archery tag in 38. with 14 points in the special draw, i believe i should hit the tag. at the end of the day i wanted a good hunt that i was fairly sure of drawing rather than going for 113, 63, etc where i only have a chance.

Thanks for all the replies and PM's.

I ended up going for the type 9 archery tag in 38. with 14 points in the special draw, i believe i should hit the tag. at the end of the day i wanted a good hunt that i was fairly sure of drawing rather than going for 113, 63, etc where i only have a chance.
Let us know if you draw.