6 Wyo Elk Points to burn

bkondeff

Without max points I feel like I am in this void, too many to waste on something like the General tag and obviously too few for the "max point" premier tags. I desire for a real shot at a solid 6x6(300-320) class plus Bull. I hunt SW Idaho, where we hunt hard, hike miles and thousands of vertical feet each day, but the class of Bull I seek is rare. I am considering going guided in Wy, though my nature is DIY. I am a rifle hunter.

What I am hoping is that someone with more experience in hunting and applying in Wy might share some insights on where to apply this year.

I do also have horses, though they usually only get used to pack out meat where I hunt. Packing in is an option though, if 2 head would be enough.

Give John Porter at Mourning Cr outfitters a call. When I sheep hunted with him we talked about elk hunting. He says they average 350 on bulls taken. Some years are better than others, but that is hunting. Nice camp set up 10 miles back from the road. Not much hunting competition. Where you can ride, that is an advantage. Good luck. Bruce

Call Ross Adney Beaver Trap Outfitters Dayton Wyoming

Bighorn Mountains Check out his website Those animals are for real!!!
I have hunted there for over 15 years and its a magnificent experience and he has been doing it for some time

SNS is another reliable service.

I think in the application process it is possible to put in for your desirable hunt, a second choice, and only lose your points if your first choice is drawn.

I have no idea which Units might fit that strategy, but its a thought.

I recommend Area 38. Last year in the regular draw, <5 points had 58% odds while 5 even was a full 100%. So, you're 6 this year should be enough to get it. I've heard good things about Beaver Trap but going unguided should not be a problem in 38, especially since there's no wilderness.

I have hunted in 38 many times and your are right about unguided but I would strongly suggest several days of scouting prior to the hunt as the elk are on their own schedule and not always in the same areas year to year. Ross is there all the time and has an intimate knowledge of 38, 37 and surrounding areas and the money is well spent for a guide. Check out his gallery of photos There isn't any BS in those pictures !!!!

bkondeff,

My advice is to wait for a premium tag while hunting elsewhere. Trophy elk hunting is a de facto once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

In the area I hunted last year, a 340 bull was considered small. But it took me 23 years to get in that unit.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.