Illinois handgun season?

MTGunner

When does the Illinois straight wall cartridge handgun season start? Plus, nonresident travel to Illinois with a revolver? Considering a future hunt. Thanks. MTG

Yes it's always the Friday Saturday and Sunday the week before thanksgiving and Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday the weekend after thanksgiving. You can use shotgun slugs or muzzle loaders or handguns. If you look at Illinois department of natural resources website under hunting you can find all the information. If you are not able to do that I can help you more
Jack

A lot of stupid rules on what you can use. Handguns can be a revolver or single shot no semi automatic and has to be at least 38 caliber. The straight wall rifle has to be made where you can only load one round at a time. Crazy but gave us more options. Now what do I choose 45/70 458 win mag. 450 bushmaster 🤔 lots of options lol
Jack

The last several years I have given up on the Illinois gun seasons and just got a crossbow. I can hunt from the first of October until the middle of January, three and half months! Instead of two long weekends with the gun seasons. Don't get me wrong, I loved hunting during the gun season but such a limited time to try to harvest an animal and if the weather was bad or if I couldn't get off work….. just gave it up. Bow tags are far easier to get too.

When this new rule was announced, I was originally planning on using a 300 Blackout AR upper. Based on my interpretation of the rules, I could have used a "0" round magazine sled and single loaded a round. Since then, the AR ban made it illegal to use those firearms (even if "registered") on public hunting lands.

When this new rule was announced, I was originally planning on using a 300 Blackout AR upper. Based on my interpretation of the rules, I could have used a "0" round magazine sled and single loaded a round. Since then, the AR ban made it illegal to use those firearms (even if "registered") on public hunting lands.
That's what I would have done too….. they gave us a reason to cheer a new rule right before they cut our legs out from under us…..

Last edited:
To start thanks for the response. Have hunted early Oct. with a crossbow. Unsucessuccessfully mind you as I decided not to take a doe. Wanted a buck. Want to use my S&W 41 magnum revolver. Have taken deer here in MT with this revolver and want to try in Illinois. BTW, born in Quincy years ago. Hunted ducks on the Mississippi with my grandfather oh so many years ago. Anyway, will talk to my cousins in west central Illinois. My only concern is traveling to Illinois with a pistol. MTG

Got one with a 300 blackout I built before pritzger and the Illinois commies started their crap.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpeg
    IMG_0614.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
To start thanks for the response. Have hunted early Oct. with a crossbow. Unsucessuccessfully mind you as I decided not to take a doe. Wanted a buck. Want to use my S&W 41 magnum revolver. Have taken deer here in MT with this revolver and want to try in Illinois. BTW, born in Quincy years ago. Hunted ducks on the Mississippi with my grandfather oh so many years ago. Anyway, will talk to my cousins in west central Illinois. My only concern is traveling to Illinois with a pistol. MTG
Born/live in Qcy. Call me cell 2172573186 leave message, I call you back!

It's amazing how small a world we live in. Through this forum I have had the opportunity to speak with mdmiller who lives n the town I was born and raised in. A true enjoyable conversation we had. He forwarded the information regarding Illinois straight wall cartridge hunting that I am seeking. Good in so far that it comes from an Illinois native.
This forum has been a long time friend that I have made so many acquaintances with. Thank you Mark. Thank you members of Longranghunting.com. MTG