If your oldee is recoil getting to you

At 11 my brothers 270 put me on my backside while showing off to my California cuz who brought his 22LR to play cowboy and Indian for real. During 53 years supporting armed forces 4 long & 2 short overseas tours & credited with 5 years at sea, my 243 took deer, roebuck, chamis; while my 300 WM took elk (& German), black bear, and such. At 66 Cowboy Action 44-40 & 45 Colt grabbed me then 70 I found 22LR PRS. At 77 put brakes on 300 WM & WSMs & would have for 12ga had they made a pair. Grandson wanted to shoot my <Quigley> Sharps after I demonstrated. It got my attention & he wasnt so eager - LoL. Now at 81, I am working on building a 6 PRC or ARC gas gun for my shakey long range accuracy and Great-Granddaughters for deer.
Any ideas on 6 PRC 18" 1-7.5 barrel for AR that doesnt consume all of the spoils of retirement fund?

Those Industrial slugs are to be fired in a special gun, to knock slag out of rotary mills in a steel plant.

I fired many hundreds of those rounds at lime balls which sometimes formed in the Lime Kiln. Though, ours had no recoil. It was a special gun (very heavy) that had a base that was bolted to the kiln firing hood window. It was a "falling block" design receiver!

It was an absolutely miserable job……very hot at the firing hood of the kiln, and the first 10 or 20 rounds shook a few inches of powdered lime dust off of everything (support structureg, pipes, electrical wiring, ect.) where you were at. The first couple of shots shook off some much dust visibility was near non-existent!

Then of course, that lime dust was activated by your sweat, making you a very miserable sob until the lime burns healed. It was not a fun place to work! memtb

I fired many hundreds of those rounds at lime balls which sometimes formed in the Lime Kiln. Though, ours had no recoil. It was a special gun (very heavy) that had a base that was bolted to the kiln firing hood window. It was a "falling block" design receiver!

It was an absolutely miserable job……very hot at the firing hood of the kiln, and the first 10 or 20 rounds shook a few inches of powdered lime dust off of everything (support structureg, pipes, electrical wiring, ect.) where you were at. The first couple of shots shook off some much dust visibility was near non-existent!

Then of course, that lime dust was activated by your sweat, making you a very miserable sob until the lime burns healed. It was not a fun place to work! memtb
I know that when I saw it roll Johnny like a bowling pin that I didn't want anything to do with it

Hopefully I can get my shoulder fixed but I have seen alot of people do it and ruin their shoulders. YOU know you like big guns when you have 18 338s 4 416s I had 8 and 3 338'378s .I thought the 338 win mag was just not enough of a long range rifle in Alaska so I got the 338-378 .The 338-378 would even be better with today's scopes and better bullets of today .It could also use a 30 inch or 32 inch barrel and be the ultimate long range rifle. I shot .25 inch groups at 100 yards abd 1 inch at 300 yards with the 338-378 .I may have to use 225 grain bullets instead of 250 grain .The 200 grain bullets kick like a 243 in my 338-378 with a reduced load that was still 3200 fps .I just started carrying lighter guns that kick less that shoot very well .I shoot cloverleaf groups all the time with my 260 rem .My 264 win mag kicks twice as much as the 260 but is only 200 fps faster and weighs 3.5 pounds more so the 260 rem hunts way more these days .

I have a Winchester model 70 stainless 338 win mag with a boos on it and it's super light for a 338 win mag .It will knock your fillings out without the brake .It kicks like a 270 with it

I never handled any of the Winchesters or Brownings with the BOSS.
I'm curious if there were substantial weight variations between some of the SS Model 70's. I'd like to compare it to our '95 SS push feed. Do you know the weight of your rifle , no scope/sling/unloaded? memtb

My 338 win mag with a boss has a pencil barrel it's crazy way too thin for a 338 win mag .It has the cheap plastic stock but with the boss I shot a bunch of 1 inch and a few 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards with factory ammo and I didnt adjust the boss .That rifle needs a laminated stock it's 6.5 pounds empty way too light for 338 win mag .It weighed almost the same as the same rifle in 243 win .Mine is a control feed but that rifle was a total mess the scope screws were drilled crooked.I had to replace the whole magazine assembly and trigger guard it refused to work that .The so called stainless finish flaked off and the rifle rusted .That rifle was a accurate piece of crap I like ruger stainless 338 model 77 way better and it was even more accurate. IT was a famous Skelton stocked ruger 77 and kicked like a mule I couldn't shoot it and I changed it to a Boyd's laminated stock and it shot perfect super accurate 5/8 -inch at 200 yards with factory ammo super good that was with just a 3x9 Japanese Nikon scope .That Winchester model 70 turned me off to new Winchester and the control feed was picky with it .

Wow! That's sad that that came from Winchester in that condition! Ours is obviously a bit earlier production than yours, and knock on wood, has been a good rifle overall.

It has the cheap "mattel" plastic stock also, and the barrel is pretty light. We cut the stock a bit shorter, and installed a Pachmyar Decellerator pad. With a 3.5 - 10 Luepold CDS in Leupold QD bass/rings, fully loaded, with sling…..it weighs 8 pounds 15 and a fraction ounces.

I'll try and determine, without pulling the scope, what ours weighs!
I assume that yours is a 24" barrel also….I'll "mic" the muzzle end to determine what the diameter is.

Thanks, and sorry that your so disappointed with the rifle. memtb

Last edited:
Yes Winchester told me to let then replace it because it was so messed up. I was in Alaska and knew that it would be a pain to mail it .It's funny I once sold it sent it in the mail in almost perfect condition and I had taken the boss off to make it shorter .They scratched the whole barrel and receiver somehow. THE guy sent it back and I repaid him .I made them pay for damages to fix it like new again. MY friend shot 7 moose abd a crazy grizzly that attacked him on the 4 wheeler it only had one eye .It took 7 shots with 338 to kill it charging and it eas only a 7 5 foot griz with 338 and only weighed 350 pounds .He didn't think it would ever die. I bought my 338-378 weathetby and hardly used 338 win mag again up there .

My cousin and I shot at 338 win model 70 one day 150 times and the scope few off because the scope mount holes were drilled crooked .That and 4 win model 94 in 25--35 were terrible too stocks fell off them.I did like that boss system kinda ugly but worked