If your oldee is recoil getting to you

I should have added eye protection as well. Rest is free will

I'm embarrassed……I actually do have a brake on a firearm. I have one on my S&W 460. ☹️ I bought it used and it didn't come with the "brake block" (my terminology), and haven't been able to locate one! ☹️

I also shot it this morning, only about 12 rounds of 400 grainers…..one handed.

I have one "charge hole"/ port in the cylinder that is "shaving" some lead. I used a box with freezer paper on the inside in an attempt to determine which is the villain! I cut a hole in the box, inserted the Smith and one hand to do the firing. The box prevented and shaved lead from hitting me in the face…..again.

I quickly discovered that you must get the brake beyond the edge of the box. Failure to do so in pretty had on the box and the freezer paper.

So I guess that perhaps now I'm no longer the "bastard child" of the forum! 🤔 memtb

X2 on the limbsaver and the couble shoulder pads. I was shooting my muzzleloader with 400 gr. bullets and 150 gr. of 777 one cold morning, and my PAST pad broke into 3 pieces. Now I have a softer pad that goes over it.

I won't hunt with anyone who uses a brake.

I used to shoot a 7mm-08 Encore pistol, until my elbows couldn't take it anymore.

"Pain don't hurt"

- Patrick Swayze, Roadhouse.

Attachments

• IMG_7346.gif
    IMG_7346.gif
    314.9 KB · Views: 16
Man that sounds painful! How did you sever all four at the same time???
Mountain biking in Moab. Had to ride out 7 miles with only my left arm functioning. Not bad really. Just a very slow pace. Drove home the next day and saw the doctor. Had an HMO insurance…hate those now! Took 5 months to get it operated on. Cost the HMO 5x what it would have if they just approved the operation. Wasted part of my life, but two years later I was doing pullups and back to my normal workouts. Still it doesn't function like it did.
"Growing old isn't for wimps!" as my now long gone old uncle use to say.

I turned 61 and I also have a torn rotator cuff that I have shot with for 30 years. I had been hunting with my Ruger 338 mag for 35 years .I use to shoot that thing 100 times a day but now 5 times is about too much .That gun needs a muzzle break .
I started using my 260 Ren savage model 10 for kids about 10 years ago .I kept shooting it to check the site in and just kept shooting tiny groups and had fun shooting it .I use to shoot my 416 rem mag a ton of times at the range but its sat in the closet alot these days .It get older toting 10 pound rifles hunting too .I just bought a kimber model 84 in 6.5 cm if I can get it to stop jamming I will try it hunting .
I just wondered if any of yall had to reduce recoil when you got older .I am sticking a good muzzle break on my 416 and 338 wm so I can shoot them more .
Not only recoil, but noise as well. A buddy was shooting cans on his rifles at my range one day, and I had to give it a try. I had a brake on my 28 Nosler at the time and it tamed the recoil fine, but the noise was unbearable. Standing to the side you could feel the percussion hit you in the face. Bought four cans so far, and I shoot them on all my threaded rifles including 22's. I love em. I'm 62, and I don't expect to change lol. My ML shoots 300 grain XTP's lights out at distances I don't even say because people won't believe it, but I absolutely hate shooting that mule. I literally didn't even want to check zero before season this year. I did, and my first shot was dead center at 100, I should have just hunted with it after all. My shoulder was sore for a week. A friend says when he sits to long, he's stiff in all the wrong places, I resemble that remark.

Recent Posts