Ideas? Have 300WSM barrel with 400 rounds - bored - change to what?

Muddyboots

So I have a Remage setup, 26" 1:10 medium Palma short throated for short COAL 700 SA magazine. But that is irrelevant if I can find a worthy replacement cartridge using the current 300WSM chamber as starting point. I have a 700 LA Magnum I can use for build. I was thinking 300 Sherman Magnum might work? Give me some ideas!

Here's an old thread that might help you out:

Or, you may be more undecided than before 😀

Thanks...I think! I ruled out the 300PRC and Rum and mulling over the 300SM but everything is not in granite for sure.

So I have a Remage setup, 26" 1:10 medium Palma short throated for short COAL 700 SA magazine. But that is irrelevant if I can find a worthy replacement cartridge using the current 300WSM chamber as starting point. I have a 700 LA Magnum I can use for build. I was thinking 300 Sherman Magnum might work? Give me some ideas!
Build your own wildcat!

there isn't much that can clean up a WSM chamber because it is .5563 at base compaired to .551 for nosler, rum, saum or .533 for the prc. setting back a remage barrel can be hard if the shank isn't long enough to rethread. there are ideas but will require a custom reamer and dies

Build your own wildcat!
This!

I can't speak to the technical changes, bolt face etc you have available, but I'm anxious to see somebody work the 6.5 Weatherby RPM to .308.

Good Luck whatever choice, wildcats are fun even when it's difficult, and it will be a crooked, steep path, loaded with education, set back, and criticism from those that don't understand the fascination of the process. "You'll shoot your eye out kid" doesn't stop with BB guns.
Carl

I think you will find more stuff on the 30 Sherman Magnum, if you search it by that name. Cool round, but I'll bet the recoil is pretty stout! I wonder what it offers in real world performance vs a properly throated 300 WSM?

I think I would spend my money throating it for the 205 gr Elite Hunter bullet. That seems ideal in 300 WSM with a stout load of R26.

there isn't much that can clean up a WSM chamber because it is .5563 at base compaired to .551 for nosler, rum, saum or .533 for the prc. setting back a remage barrel can be hard if the shank isn't long enough to rethread. there are ideas but will require a custom reamer and dies
My Mega would be a great choice but I haven't mentioned it because I won't have brass until December.
The SM won't clean up a wsm chamber unless you had a ton of barrel set back.
The wsm is .020"+ greater in diameter.

My Mega would be a great choice but I haven't mentioned it because I won't have brass until December.
The SM won't clean up a wsm chamber unless you had a ton of barrel set back.
The wsm is .020"+ greater in diameter.
I am playing with the 6.8 western necked up to thirty and fireforming saum brass so the first thing that came to my mind was a 2.450 wsm and fireforming 33 nosler brass

I am playing with the 6.8 western necked up to thirty and fireforming saum brass so the first thing that came to my mind was a 2.450 wsm and fireforming 33 nosler brass
That's how I formed the Mega.
It's a little small at the head but will blow out ok until I get the proper brass.

That's how I formed the Mega.
It's a little small at the head but will blow out ok until I get the proper brass.
I know the western was close to your max but this is the first I heard of your mega didn't know you were going in that direction.
did you release any info on it yet? I have played in quickdesign and quickload and it looks like it should just edge out a 30-28 nosler and make the higher node but still stay short enough to stay in an unmodified rem. action

I wasn't sure and appreciate this info. I may just send out with dummy rounds for whichever bullet I think will be used the most for the 300WSM. The shank is normal length for Palma barrel so looks like my options are limited.