Ideas? Have 300WSM barrel with 400 rounds - bored - change to what?

So I have a Remage setup, 26" 1:10 medium Palma short throated for short COAL 700 SA magazine. But that is irrelevant if I can find a worthy replacement cartridge using the current 300WSM chamber as starting point. I have a 700 LA Magnum I can use for build. I was thinking 300 Sherman Magnum might work? Give me some ideas!
Keep it a 300 WSM. Lengthen the throat for heavy bullets (COAL at 3.0-3.3") and give it the +P treatment (Defensive edge).

I know the western was close to your max but this is the first I heard of your mega didn't know you were going in that direction.
did you release any info on it yet? I have played in quickdesign and quickload and it looks like it should just edge out a 30-28 nosler and make the higher node but still stay short enough to stay in an unmodified rem. action
There is info on the Mega on LRH and FB @ Sherman Wildcat Group
I'll have a 7 mm version smoking by weeks end

Craig,

What bullet are you using now and at what velocity?

Ed
Ed, used the 300 WSM for lighter weight bullets due to limited 2.90 COAL in 700 SA. Settled in with 166 HH which was screamer at 3250 (3310 was max) and shot very well but just got tired of the 300 WSM to some extent and was thinking what could I turn to without to much "difficulty". I have Sendero 300WM that also loves the 196 HH and it is a thumper at 3150. I thought about trying it in the WSM but I just didn't have sufficient COAL to even try it. I wished I went with faster barrel when I ordered it but didn't "think" I would need it but it does limit my options as well.
Craig

Ed, used the 300 WSM for lighter weight bullets due to limited 2.90 COAL in 700 SA. Settled in with 166 HH which was screamer at 3250 (3310 was max) and shot very well but just got tired of the 300 WSM to some extent and was thinking what could I turn to without to much "difficulty". I have Sendero 300WM that also loves the 196 HH and it is a thumper at 3150. I thought about trying it in the WSM but I just didn't have sufficient COAL to even try it. I wished I went with faster barrel when I ordered it but didn't "think" I would need it but it does limit my options as well.
Craig
Craig,

Yeah! .300 WSM's shortcoming in SA is the COAL. Most are building them in LA now. I have two WSMs, 24" and 26". I currently propel the 215 Berger at 2850 FPS out of my 24 (no load development for the 26" yet), not too shabby, in my opinion. It's a .5-.75 MOA at 1KY if I do my part.

Ed

there isn't much that can clean up a WSM chamber because it is .5563 at base compaired to .551 for nosler, rum, saum or .533 for the prc. setting back a remage barrel can be hard if the shank isn't long enough to rethread. there are ideas but will require a custom reamer and dies
Why wouldn't setting it back 1 turn clean it up, only talking about .006.

I think most of the Jeffrey based cases are 8-10 thou TPI so you'd be talking more like 10-12 turns, wouldn't you??
I'm no gunsmith but I do know a Rem is about .063 setting it back 1 turn. Even if it was 2 turns not that big a deal if the barrel is worth even doing it

So I have a Remage setup, 26" 1:10 medium Palma short throated for short COAL 700 SA magazine. But that is irrelevant if I can find a worthy replacement cartridge using the current 300WSM chamber as starting point. I have a 700 LA Magnum I can use for build. I was thinking 300 Sherman Magnum might work? Give me some ideas!
Make a longer throat and keep the 300wsm

Why wouldn't setting it back 1 turn clean it up, only talking about .006.
Rich is right it is the body TPI that is the problem. now this aint perfect but just took a fired 300 wsm and measured from widest to .006 smaller and the difference was .494 in length. removing almost a half inch on a remage or savage prefit isn't always possible to rethread because the shank isn't always long enough

Thanks for all the good input, always appreciated and we didn't even go off the rails! I think I will send barrel back to have the throat adjusted for longer high BC bullets. Of course now need new stock, bottom metal etc. But it will be a better mousetrap when done.

Learn something new everyday, I thought .006 wouldn't take but a thread or 2 to clean up.

I'm no gunsmith but I do know a Rem is about .063 setting it back 1 turn. Even if it was 2 turns not that big a deal if the barrel is worth even doing it

Learn something new everyday, I thought .006 wouldn't take but a thread or 2 to clean up.
It's a tricky one but when you think about at .010" taper per inch linear you have to move .6" to remove .006" diameter.10 threads at .063"/thread would be10x.063=.630"

Recent Posts