Idaho wolf control board seeks $200,000 to kill wolves

You're capable of managing the elk population? Like we handled the buffalo? Or the carrier pigeon? Wolves do a much better balancing act than humans do. These animals co-existed together for tens of thousands of years, so what changed? Human involvement is what changed. You don't see as many elk as you used to so there must be some huge problem. And there is, the herds were getting too large and screwing up the ecosystem because we eradicated wolves for our own benefit. Here's another question for you: How many states in wolf country have cancelled their elk seasons?

I agree that this is a waste of tax dollars. That's not to say that effective thinning of the pack is not a bad thing. I think there is more of a case for the need for more bounties on bad humans.

You're capable of managing the elk population? Like we handled the buffalo? Or the carrier pigeon? Wolves do a much better balancing act than humans do. These animals co-existed together for tens of thousands of years, so what changed? Human involvement is what changed. You don't see as many elk as you used to so there must be some huge problem. And there is, the herds were getting too large and screwing up the ecosystem because we eradicated wolves for our own benefit. Here's another question for you: How many states in wolf country have cancelled their elk seasons?
This is bizarre logic
Nature controls populations with feast or famine. What happens in modern agriculture if a wolf population is left unchecked, no different than any other population. It has to run rampant until something(likely starvation) decimates it.

Actually No...I'm referring to the current F&W depts. in a lot of these areas that do not know how to manage game populations using "US" hunters..... Not me myself but all of us..... True management (in whatever you are managing) should lead to flat lines in trends. Not massive swings one way or another like we are seeing in game populations. Swings up and down are what you will see when left to nature, and I think we have evolved above that. In Washington, there are areas overrun with Elk that allow no hunting.....and other areas with declining populations that they hand out Cow tags like candy at Halloween. Adding a over population of wolves is just going to make a viscous swing the other way........Like I said your vision is cute, but jumps over many canyons to connect the dots. The Buffalo is actually a very good example of bad management the other way.....Why would you assume that we haven't learned from our mistakes? I'm saying we should be demanding TRUE management from our departments......Not accepting what we are getting now.

Actually No...I'm referring to the current F&W depts. in a lot of these areas that do not know how to manage game populations using "US" hunters..... Not me myself but all of us..... True management (in whatever you are managing) should lead to flat lines in trends. Not massive swings one way or another like we are seeing in game populations. Swings up and down are what you will see when left to nature, and I think we have evolved above that. In Washington, there are areas overrun with Elk that allow no hunting.....and other areas with declining populations that they hand out Cow tags like candy at Halloween. Adding a over population of wolves is just going to make a viscous swing the other way........Like I said your vision is cute, but jumps over many canyons to connect the dots. The Buffalo is actually a very good example of bad management the other way.....Why would you assume that we haven't learned from our mistakes? I'm saying we should be demanding TRUE management from our departments......Not accepting what we are getting now.

I think you're right on. In Utah there really isn't a predator that kills to many elk. But the elk population has declined in southern Utah because they hand out cow tags like candy. True management wouldn't work this way. The state of Utah sells as many tags as it can and to heck with the herds.
As for wolf the time of the wolf is gone. Back when the wolf and the game lived together in balance there wasn't billions of people with boom sticks shooting the game.jMHO[/QUOTE]

This is bizarre logic
Nature controls populations with feast or famine. What happens in modern agriculture if a wolf population is left unchecked, no different than any other population. It has to run rampant until something(likely starvation) decimates it.

I agree with your post but it doesn't stand up to the fact that nature has survived for millions of years. Humanities' population has been left mostly unchecked due to this fallacy that every human life is sacred and above all others. Now, that is bizarre logic!

I agree with your post but it doesn't stand up to the fact that nature has survived for millions of years. Humanities' population has been left mostly unchecked due to this fallacy that every human life is sacred and above all others. Now, that is bizarre logic!
Lol
Human life really only became more sacred since the humanitarian movement. Look a ww1 and ww2, they spent human lives like we spend bullets.
My friends and family are more sacred than any wolf or elk, I'm sure you're no different. My human brain emphasizes with you and therein lies the crux of this whole argument.

And just what do you think will happen to the human population when nature reassert the balance. My point is we do not need to have rampant suffering for predators or prey or human livelihood with a little management.

Wolves and hooved animals lived side by side for thousands of years. Nature works just fine. Sorry if all you out west have to actually hunt now instead of just glassing from the road. Wolves keep elk moving which helps the trees which brings in more beavers creating more water areas for birds and other species. That's how nature works. Is it healthy to see herds with thousands of elk in them? No it's not.

As a ranch owner in Wyoming I've seen and watched the evolution of what the "reintroduction" of the grey wolf with a subspecie of wolf that has never been native to this part of the Rockies has done to our ecosystem! In the highly managed Yellowstone ecosystem, it has had dramatic shifts in populations of several species! Some good some bad! In the surrounding areas of MT, ID and WY it has been devastating! Hunting this foreign predator in a legal well managed effort, without spending more tax dollars, sure is better than the not so legal "shoot,shovel and shut up" that has been forced upon us living with it until recently!
So do use all a favor and don't express your ignorance when you clearly don't know the facts and have not seen it or lived it first hand!

To humans, everything is a (insert any "nuisance" animal here). I've rarely heard humans talk about a human problem when it comes to any natural balance. LOL

In the grand scheme of things, 200 G's is a drop in the bucket in comparison to any appreciable true measure of wolf control. It's like throwing the same amount on finding a cure for cancer. It might make somebody feel better about themselves but that's about it.

Unless I'm mistaken, weren't wolves re-introducing themselves to Idaho and Montana? A person could make a pretty good case that nature was working quite nicely, at it's own intended pace without the help of people infusing their own notions of how it's supposed to be done. But hay... since when has just sticking any ole critter where you think it belongs, ever had unintended consequences? Also, large elk herds are in part, due to well meaning but foolish feeding programs that draw herds together.

It's all an academic mental exercise anyway because until poison is legalized and employed again, we will never control this particular wolf. That's just how it is. Throwing rocks at the moon won't knock it out of the sky either.

upload_2019-1-23_11-35-56.jpeg

Wolves and hooved animals lived side by side for thousands of years. Nature works just fine. Sorry if all you out west have to actually hunt now instead of just glassing from the road. Wolves keep elk moving which helps the trees which brings in more beavers creating more water areas for birds and other species. That's how nature works. Is it healthy to see herds with thousands of elk in them? No it's not.

You should get the facts before making a uninformed comment like this. The particular subspecies of wolf that lived "beside " our hooved animals (MT, ID, WY) was a completely different animal that was introduced. I encourage you to do some research and educate yourself with some BASIC facts about what was here a "thousand years ago" and what is here now. After you've done that you'll understand how your uninformed and inappropriate your comment is. Who knows maybe you will actually delete or at a minimum edit your comment.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts