Idaho Boar/Mouflon hunt results and pics..........

Shawn,

I think you, along with the others that have been gracious enough to respond my question about this ranging system have made up my mind.

Sounds like it will easily provide accurate +1000 yard ranging on big game as well as +1500 yard ranging for rockchuck hunting. Possibly pushing the 2000 yard mark from your experience.

Thanks for the response as always and I greatly respect your experience and knowledge your willing to share.

I look forward to hearing about your new 338 Edge project. I have an image in my mind of what it may be. Will be interesting to see how much we think alike.

After my 7mm Allen Mag gets established Richard Graves is wanting me to turn my full attention to my 338 Allen Mag so there will be details coming soon for this round as well.

Look forward to seeing your project!!

Thanks again,

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi Fifty
Thanks for your response as I can now picture how the ram was standing at the first shot.
Sounds like you were very close with the wind call then - probably only about 4" left of perfect? At 860yds very good!
APB

APB,

Yes, I was happy with the wind dope, the range estimate left a bit to be desired though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif!!

By next field test I hope to be using a Swarovski range finder so hopefully this will not be a problem again and I only have to worry about my shooting to determine a hit or miss..

I will admit that just two days before I went on the hunt I was able to really test out the rifle at these ranges with very similiar wind conditions so it was basically a repeat of the praactice session which made things much easier to hold into the wind correctly.

The Weaver Tactical with the FFP system and mil dot also greatly aid in this area.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

APB,

FFP stands for "first focal plane" which means that the reticle in this scope is on the same focal plane as the actual target you see. Most scopes are not this way.

What this does is keeps the reticle consistant dimensionally with the target when the scope magnification is increased or decreased.

For example, the distance between the main crosshair and the first mil dot down is the same on 4x as it is on 16x.

This makes the scope much more versitile as it can be used at closer range or very low light conditions where the low powers are better or you can crank things up to the top end for long range precision shooting.

Very good system and one I wish all the scope makers would use.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.