I think I'm going with a Savage 116 7mm Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by CleanShot, Apr 29, 2015.

1. CleanShot

CleanShot Well-Known Member

Hello

After looking around at various rifles I think I'm going to go with a Savage 116 in a 7RM for a western elk rifle. I was debating between the 116 and the 111 Long Range Hunter or a T3 but I think the 116 is winning the battle. Savage seems like a good platform to build on with the aftermarket part availability and I like the SS. Plus I've seen complaints about the LRHs factory brake and the mags.

I was also debating 7RM vs 7mm-08 in terms of calibers. I'm leaning towards the 7RM.

I saw a similar thread where a gentleman was debating the 111 LRH and the 116 FCSS for his son just in a different caliber. We both seem to be looking at the same stuff as I too am outfitting the rifle with a SS 3-15x42

Any thoughts on my picks? I'd like to get past this analysis paralysis and shooting soon.

Thanks
    Sam

2. wbm

wbm Well-Known Member

Savage 111 LRH in 7mm Magnum

3. mountainman56

mountainman56 Well-Known Member

Yeah........if it was me I'd go that route. JM2C (analysis paralysis.......I like that) :)

4. ohiohunter

ohiohunter Well-Known Member

If I were considering a 7rm the 7-08 wouldn't even be on the radar. The 280 or a 284 would be better suited considerations, or toss in the good ol' 300wm.

5. CleanShot

Ok so that one is solved.

6. CleanShot

Why the 111 LRH?

7. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Shot, which ever you choose, don't get the plastic stock or replace it if you do. My hunt pal has the Savage in SS and it shoots very well since the aftermarket stock was bedded and installed. 300 WSM and a proven elk killer and the 7mm RM will too. Good luck

8. wbyfireman

wbyfireman Well-Known Member

I do all my long range hunting at this time with the Savage LRH 7mm Rem Mag and Nightforce NSX scope. Its not the most attractive rifle, and the stock is nothing to brag about but with hand loads I shoot out to 1100 yds on steel and feel completly confident and ethical hunting game at 800 yds. I rattle canned it desert tan just because I dont like the all black look here in the southwest while hunting. With the rifle painted tan along with how well it shoots most at the range think its a custom. :)
    I shoot 168 Bergers and IMR 7828SSC and am getting 3015 fps. I can get up to 3100 fps with great accuracy however pressure is too high when it heats up here in AZ so I backed it down .5 gr.

hope this helps

9. mountainman56

mountainman56 Well-Known Member

2" longer barrel and accustock. Will shoot well right out of the box.

10. CleanShot

The 116 Weather Warrior series has the AccuStock as well. The main differences are the SS, hinged floor plate, adjustable comb, and the muzzle brake. The latter is where I believe where the extra 2" come from and an aftermarket muzzle brake might correct that on the 116.

11. CleanShot

Do any of your folks with the LRH have the reported "dirt in the brake" problem?

12. CleanShot

Are you suggesting I should be considering a 300 WSM instead of the 7RM?

13. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

I had a LRH in 300 WSM which was a heck of a shooter. At 300 yards it would print 7/16 to 1 1/16 groups with Berger 185 Hybrids. Stupid me I sold it.

As far as the brake, Savage made this an 'open or closed' design. If you want the option to use it in both configurations, than you will have to keep it clean. Cleaning with brake cleaner (aerosol can) will need to be done after every shooting or the fouling will eventually lock the mechanism in place. Just spray in and around the brake and it will remove debris....no big deal. Most folks want the advantage of a brake and therefore keep it open and don't worry about if it locks in place or not.

I would not hesitate on purchasing this model since it is a proven shooter.

14. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

I would consider a sendero