Savage 116

I did a 28 nosler in a light Palma and my rifle weighs 10.3 with a scope. But it's a blind mag so that saves some weight.

A vortex pst it's a first gen. Stock is also a non accufit or accustock. So it's rather light.
If I was doing it again I would do a Douglas #5 or right around there. My 280 AI is a Douglas #4 and it's a great balanced weight. Your cartridge choice will have some to do with the contour. Can't go to light with the big cartridges. My barrel maker said he wouldn't do my 28 Nosler any lighter than a Light Palma but since has said he would do a little lighter. My 28 shoots lights out so I don't have any real complaints.

howdy gents! Quick question for those of you who have been around this longer than me. I have a savage 116 in 300 win an I'm trying to decide on which barrel shank size I'm going to need to get. Who makes a reasonably priced barrel for the average human also. I'm going to go with a bell an Carlson stock an hopefully a new trigger somewhere down the line. I'm kinda looking for something in the 6.5 cal up to a big 7mm. Any input will help! Thanks for all your help fellas!!!
500-600 yards is really not too big of a deal...especially on Elk sized game so I would go with a thinner contour barrel to help with weight. If you stick with a "Savage" style contour barrel you could go with their "magnum" contour barrel and finish it around 22-24inches if weight is a concern. My wife's rifle is a 7mm08 savage built with a heavier wooden stock and a short 20in magnum contour savage barrel that we had built from Apache gunwerks. That gun weighs in at 8.8lbs with a 3-9x40 leupold VX II unloaded. That barrel shoots .5-.65MOA all day long with no load work up (I basically threw a load together or use factory loads). I bet it would be sub .5MOA if I actually put effort into load workup. Even though 6.5 can certainly take elk and many will say go for the 6.5 creed, personally I would want something with a bit more power if Elk is a main target. If I were you I would be eyeballing a good ole 7mm rem mag barrel. Why change what isn't broke. It has plenty of power to kill Elk and yet is not big in recoil (even in lighter setups). If Elk will be a rare target and whitetails will be the main target then go for the 6.5 creed. Do you have the Savage Accutrigger? The blade thing can maybe bit a little annoying to some but every accutrigger I have breaks at a nice 2.5lbs and is very crisp. Google Savage target trigger springs. Those will allow you to drop your savage accutrigger below 3lbs if your current spring does not allow that and that is what you desire. I have never seen the need to replace the savage trigger unless you want to be in the ounces trigger pull range (which personally I would never hunt with). I built a savage 7mm rem mag with a criterion light varmint contour and while that thing shoots laser beams (.25MOA is common) it is just too heavy for what I want (Weighs in at 11lbs with scope). Like I said above, 500 yards really is not too long range and you do not need a LONG-RANGE dedicated rifle to get there. A regular old Remington 700 with a traditional wooden stock can do it no problem. Now if you want a dedicated long range rifle, then by all means go with a more "long range" style stock but remember these will be heavier for sure. I don't care what anyone says...slinging a heavier rifle can be a pain and I rarely take my heavier savage into the woods anymore.

500-600 yards is really not too big of a deal...especially on Elk sized game so I would go with a thinner contour barrel to help with weight. If you stick with a "Savage" style contour barrel you could go with their "magnum" contour barrel and finish it around 22-24inches if weight is a concern. My wife's rifle is a 7mm08 savage built with a heavier wooden stock and a short 20in magnum contour savage barrel that we had built from Apache gunwerks. That gun weighs in at 8.8lbs with a 3-9x40 leupold VX II unloaded. That barrel shoots .5-.65MOA all day long with no load work up (I basically threw a load together or use factory loads). I bet it would be sub .5MOA if I actually put effort into load workup. Even though 6.5 can certainly take elk and many will say go for the 6.5 creed, personally I would want something with a bit more power if Elk is a main target. If I were you I would be eyeballing a good ole 7mm rem mag barrel. Why change what isn't broke. It has plenty of power to kill Elk and yet is not big in recoil (even in lighter setups). If Elk will be a rare target and whitetails will be the main target then go for the 6.5 creed. Do you have the Savage Accutrigger? The blade thing can maybe bit a little annoying to some but every accutrigger I have breaks at a nice 2.5lbs and is very crisp. Google Savage target trigger springs. Those will allow you to drop your savage accutrigger below 3lbs if your current spring does not allow that and that is what you desire. I have never seen the need to replace the savage trigger unless you want to be in the ounces trigger pull range (which personally I would never hunt with). I built a savage 7mm rem mag with a criterion light varmint contour and while that thing shoots laser beams (.25MOA is common) it is just too heavy for what I want (Weighs in at 11lbs with scope). Like I said above 500 yards really is not too long range and you do not need a LONG-RANGE dedicated rifle to get there. A regular old Remington 700 with a traditional wooden stock can do it no problem. Now if you want a dedicated long range rifle, then by all means go with a more "long range" style stock but remember these will be heavier for sure. I don't care what anyone says...slinging a heavier rifle can be a pain and I rarely take my heavier savage into the woods anymore.
Apache has built all my barrels. If his wait times weren't so long I would reccomend him every single time. I also agree with your savage magnum contour suggestion. It's a great contour especially for lighter cartridges. Good advice

It's hard to beat a prefit shilen or crieton from Northland shooting supplies. The barrel are around 339 ready to install.

Built a 28 nosler varmit profile and a 6.5 cr eedmoor heavy sporter.

All my others will be a heavy sporter

Yep it would be a small shank. Only their target action or wsm caliber rifles are large shank. I went with a criterion prefit in 6.5 cm.
20180605_182217.jpg

I did actually the same build as my first build. Used the 111 and ordered an Xcaliber barrel. Only $1600 into the build. I thought was pretty good. Anyways, I meant for it to be somewhat light as I was going to use it as my pack rifle...didnt turn out that way. 12lbs loaded unfortunately. Shoots great as I might add.

My advice, have no regrets. Go with what you're leaning towards.
Nice rifles. What barrel contour are those and, weight of barrel? Stocks and weight?

I did a custom contour. Its in between a #3 and #3 1/2 (.75 at the muzzle) My barrel at 26in (plus 2" brake) is a bit over 5lbs alone. I went with a stockade stock. It is heavy unfortunately. Just over 4 lbs. With everything on (scope, ammo, bipod, ect.) it is 12lbs. I need to bite the bullet and order a Mcmillan or Manners for it in carbon fiber to drop it to 10lbs lol

Criterion is a great outfit. Jim is helpful and will take the time to explain what you need. Good prices on a decent barrel. He'll have any additional parts or tools you need in stock as well.

If you want a higher quality barrel, I'm partial to Douglass out of WV. They'll send you a pre-fit at a reasonable cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.