Wanting to build a savage 116

FlGunner

Ok as the title suggests I'm wanting to build a rifle for my brother for a surprise to give him. He's a savage fan so I figured I'd go with what he likes. I'm thinking about trying to keep it under 1500. I've got a few things in mind but wanted to ask you guys for a lil advice. I know where a couple 116 are that are the xp series. Both are 7mm Remington mags. My initial thoughts are to find an aftermarket stock like the BC medalist with ful bedding block ($271 on stockys) and then send it for a new barrel. I was thinking of Hart but thought that they lead time would be a long wait....about 9 months. The other was PAC-Nor. I've read some really good reviews on them as well. But another thing is that I'm not sure what to do about bottom metal to replace all of the plastic. The rifles have the bottom bolt release. Asking price in the local shop are $350 and $425. Ones stock has several scratches but not a deal breaker since it'd get tossed anyway. Open to any ideas y'all might have.

In the process of putting together a similar rifle myself. I went with a Stevens 200 7mag from a pawn shop. Ordered a bartlein #3 from southern precision rifles, McMillan game hunter in edge, action vise and barrel nut wrench, recoil lug, barrel nut , sav 2 rifle basix trigger. Chambered in 300 win. Throated a little deeper for heavies. I'm new to all this...Can't wait to get er all together! So that's a few ideas. CDI makes nice Dbm if you want that. I'm going to try modifying​ the internal mag to extend oal first. Trying to keep the weight modest.

I swapped out the factory barrel on my 112BVSS in 6.5-284Norma (26") for a Lothar Walther pre-fit in the same caliber, but 28". Don't hear a lot about LW barrels on this forum. That's too bad as this is a great barrel. No copper fouling, clean up takes less than 10 patches. Smooth as silk.

I called when it arrived and asked about break-in, "none" they said, all their barrels are hand lapped before leaving their facility. They were right; I don't think this barrel has shot over 1/2" with any of the loads I've run through it. Most of the loads I have shot were worked out with the original Savage barrel, which was also an excellent barrel, in fact the best factory barrel I have ever had.

I took it for a spin yesterday with the 147gn ELD-M's. With 58.5gn of Retumbo, lit by CCI's BR2's in Norma brass, it's loafing along at 3047fps (avg), with ES/SD of 12/6.3, respectively. First three bullets at 1000 yards produced a 3-4" group! I was pleased because the wind was howling at 15mph, with gust up near 20.

I looked at/considered Pac-Nor, but wait time was crazy. Gave LW a shot (pun intended) and I'm glad. Outstanding service and great product. "I'll be back!" JohnnyK.

Get a Prefit barrel and put it on yourself. It's really easy with simple tools.

I have had great luck with McGown prefits and they usually have a good amount of barrels in stock ready to ship.

Looks like the guys got you going on the right track, DIY is the way to go if you have the time, and your brother would probably appreciate your labor of love. :):Dgun)

NOTE: Make sure you get the minimum recommended twist for the bullet you are going to use; for most, 1:9" is about the norm, I personally would go with 1:8" but that's just me.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts