Savage 116

Sheephuntr

Live in a small town south of Boise Idaho called M
howdy gents! Quick question for those of you who have been around this longer than me. I have a savage 116 in 300 win an I’m trying to decide on which barrel shank size I’m going to need to get. Who makes a reasonably priced barrel for the average human also. I’m going to go with a bell an Carlson stock an hopefully a new trigger somewhere down the line. I’m kinda looking for something in the 6.5 cal up to a big 7mm. Any input will help! Thanks for all your help fellas!!!

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
howdy gents! Quick question for those of you who have been around this longer than me. I have a savage 116 in 300 win an I’m trying to decide on which barrel shank size I’m going to need to get. Who makes a reasonably priced barrel for the average human also. I’m going to go with a bell an Carlson stock an hopefully a new trigger somewhere down the line. I’m kinda looking for something in the 6.5 cal up to a big 7mm. Any input will help! Thanks for all your help fellas!!!

I don't want to assume anything but are you looking for a prefit barrel for a DIY project?

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
Yes I’d like a pre fit barrel. I should apologize, I need to put more info out there before I post.

You'll get varying results from various members here but some of your choices are Pac-Nor, Shilen, X-caliber, McGowan, Criterion, etc. I've heard more satisfied and users than not. On my last build, I went with Lilja and had it chambered by my gunsmith. For my upcoming project, I am considering McGowan or X-caliber and keep it local - made in Montana products.

Sheephuntr

You'll get varying results from various members here but some of your choices are Pac-Nor, Shilen, X-caliber, McGowan, Criterion, etc. I've heard more satisfied and users than not. On my last build, I went with Lilja and had it chambered by my gunsmith. For my upcoming project, I am considering McGowan or X-caliber and keep it local - made in Montana products.
This is going to be my first build ever, so I have no idea what I’m gettin myself into. I’m wanting a do all rifle, not to heavy not to light that I can still haul up in the mountains an shoot at an elk out to 5-600 yards.

Backcountry_IDN

I did actually the same build as my first build. Used the 111 and ordered an Xcaliber barrel. Only $1600 into the build. I thought was pretty good. Anyways, I meant for it to be somewhat light as I was going to use it as my pack rifle...didnt turn out that way. 12lbs loaded unfortunately. Shoots great as I might add.

My advice, have no regrets. Go with what you're leaning towards.

Attachments

• IMG_20180525_152829_01.jpg
    IMG_20180525_152829_01.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 81

Sheephuntr

I did actually the same build as my first build. Used the 111 and ordered an Xcaliber barrel. Only $1600 into the build. I thought was pretty good. Anyways, I meant for it to be somewhat light as I was going to use it as my pack rifle...didnt turn out that way. 12lbs loaded unfortunately. Shoots great as I might add.

My advice, have no regrets. Go with what you're leaning towards.
How heavy of barrel is that??? What contour did you use?

Rich Coyle

thank you!!!! Why would savage use a small shank on a magnum caliber???

Their small shank is actually large. They came out with a very large action so they have to call the normal size "small". I purchased a Criterion barrel for my near thirty year old Savage. It was my first attempt at this sort of thing. First group is 3/8" and the second is 1/8". I'm waiting for the new stock to finish the bedding.

Tidus56

I have 8 savage prefit barrels. 4 McGowen 2 X-caliber and 2 criterion. All of them shoot well with the best shooter being a McGowen. But it is also a smaller caliber so they tend to shoot anyway.
Most savage rifles are small shank but not all. I have a 116 375 Ruger that was a large shank. It’s very obvious once you pull the barrel off. I can send you a picture of a large and small shank if you’d like.

Sheephuntr

Their small shank is actually large. They came out with a very large action so they have to call the normal size "small". I purchased a Criterion barrel for my near thirty year old Savage. It was my first attempt at this sort of thing. First group is 3/8" and the second is 1/8". I'm waiting for the new stock to finish the bedding.
Ohhhhh I’m tracking now!!!! What caliber did you end up going with?

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.