savage 16/116 300 win mag

jimmy cupples

so I have a stock savage 116 300 win mag. I am curious as to the distance that this rifle is able to reach. I personally have not pushed it further than 350 yards. But yesterday I saw the largest black tail buck that I have ever encountered and I am very familiar with large deer. Any way this monster was about 900 yards I closed the distance to 550 and then some yahoos started shooting over me trying to reach the buck to no avail. As I watched this magnificent animal disappear into the trees and the knuckelheads get back in their truck and drive off. I couldn't help but wonder if I should start practicing at 500 plus yards with this rifle. Does any one have any input on the range for this rifle.

The 300 Win Mag, with appropriate hand loads, will shoot large game to around 1000m as long as it's an accurate rifle. Anything past 500m and you'll have to be heavily into hand loading, weather/wind reading, ballistics calculations etc.

Mine is stock other than a replacement Bell & Carson stock and I removed the factory brake. I launch 200 gr NAB's at 3000' fps so the gun will go longer than my ability. I have a custom turret and can hit steel at 550 all day long. Here is my average 5 shot groups at 100 and 200 isn't much bigger.

The gun

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.