I think I need a front rest to wring out the last 1/4 MOA accuracy potential

Any of the rests you mention will be just fine. I have a heavy Sinclair and don't think I have used that thing but maybe half a dozen times. I just prefer a bipod and rear bag. I can shoot BR type groups off that. If you have a flaw with your technique why not continue to shoot of rear bag and bipod until you exploit that weakness and correct it. Lead sled type rests are the worst rest to have I mean you are not even really shooting your gun anymore you are just getting it on target and pulling trigger not to mention they are terrible for your gun as your stock is taking a brunt of the abuse (speaking on bigger magnums), and you will never fix that flaw that you have causing you to not be able to shoot smaller groups. Just get you a good front rest if considering BR or F-Class and nice rear bag like protektor as mentioned and continue to work on your form. You will get there. What cal are you shooting?

If you can't do it with the rest you have a high dollar rest isn't going to help you. You have a great rest for what you are doing, guys use them in benchrest comps and do good. Bipods don't do great off a bench, if using a bipod shoot prone.
Work on your form and consistency. You may need to tweak your load, seating depth,charge weight.
Then it may be your barrel doesn't like the bullet you are working with, it happens all the time. And after you have made sure you have done everything to help the rifle shoot accurately, ie; float barrel, bed action. And is the rifle you have caplable of shooting 1/4 moa?
Guys that can shoot can take a capable rifle and load and shoot 1/4 moa and less off homemade sand bags, if the rifle and load is capable it doesn't take a high dollar rest. I would recommend having someone shoot it that you know is an accomplished shooter. Someone that you know consistently shoots small groups, and see what it does with him, before you go spend a bunch of money on a rest. I shoot F-class both long and mid range and use a JJ Lo and a SEB Joy Pod and still a lot of times I go to the range to do load development for rifles other that my F Class rifles, I will take a Sinclair rest, quit similar to yours and it works just fine. I have shot many groups in the .2's and .3's and some in the .1's with it.
I would figure out the problem you have first, be it wrong Bullet for your barrel, wrong seating depth,your shooting form, is the rifle capable of that accuracy, before adding another factor and spending money on a rest when it may be best spent on fixing the gun.
But buy all means keep moving forward and do try F-class as soon as you get a chance, it will humble you and then you will start learning what you might be doing wrong, and the people are great and most will help you. I would invest in a gun for F-class before I spent big money on a rest, you could get buy with your rest just fine as you are learn the ropes.

Good luck and have fun

Last edited:
An old blue jean pant leg stuffed with what ever was on hand....leaning across the top of your pick up hood. Shooting at that coyote 500 yards out. Get him......

If you want BR groups, you'll need BR equipment.
I get so tired of my stock AR off of a tractor shoots 0.25 MOA all-day-long stories.

That said, I can consistently get under 0.5 MOA with my Caldwell FR Rest. It just is a bit rough to adjust. My Lead Sled....not in the same ball park. It is for 1" at 100 yd it worse guns!

How many are shooting 0.25", 100 groups, with their hunting rifles, with a bipod, consistently?
When I do shoot a tiny group I think to myself well the gun is good, now I just need to do it on demand lol
With enough practice I usually can tell which shots break cleanly and which I put too much of myself in them.

To the op, when ur shooting 100 yds, try focusing on ur reticle instead of the paper. It seems to greatly help me and really pay attention to how ur squeezing the trigger and any movement your incurring as you do

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.