I think I need a front rest to wring out the last 1/4 MOA accuracy potential

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Troutslayer2, Aug 25, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Troutslayer2

Troutslayer2 Well-Known Member

All I’ve ever done is shoot off bipods. I’m right now doing load development on a new barrel and I am stuck at .75 MOA at all distances. It’s super consistent, single digit ES and SD. I think that my skills are just not there to hold my gun perfectly consistent enough to realize any further accuracy potential. Occasionally, I will put them all through the same ragged hole at 100, or shoot better than 1/2 MOA at 300 YDS and I think on those days I am just in the zone and doing everything right- and the conditions are ideal.

I want to try and take that my shortcomings out of the picture. I may end up getting into F Class at some point so a front rest makes sense.

I was looking at the Grizzly/Bald Eagle line and I’m not sure which one to get, nor am I sure that the rear bag I normally use is going to work out great for me. I only have lighter weight rifles at the moment but I intend to get some dedicated BR type guns eventually.

Is the Bald Eagle a good choice as a first front rest, and if not, is there anything else that you’d recommend? I know what front bag to get for the rest itself but not sure on what rear bag to get. I am also unsure of how important having the windage adjustment is, having never used a front rest.

If your response is going to be about how amazing you are and that you shoot .25MOA all day long off a bipod I really don’t want to hear it, unless it’s constructive. I practice a lot and I feel like my technique is pretty good with room for improvement. I just want to see how much of it is me vs the equipment.

2. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

If you shoot primarily from a bench like me, a front adjustable rest is ideal. If you hunt with a bipod, then I would practice with a bipod.

CatShooter likes this.
  3. Lrreloader

Lrreloader Well-Known Member

Here is what I use for load development.
    IMG_20170508_180706078_HDR.jpg

4. Lrreloader

You can switch bags with different profiles and can always add a whole new head with windage adjustment

5. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

I think if you want BR type groups, you need similar equipment. Something like Lrreloader posted.
    I think the Bald Eagle is a little light, and there are F class bipods that would serve as well.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  6. Rhovee

Rhovee Well-Known Member

To be honest you should be able to hold 1/2 MOA or less with a bipod. I would make sure your load is stable and that isn't the issue. I agree that a front rest is ideal. I have a nice benchrest (Sinclair) and am going to have a plate made for the front that will just thread into a stock. But i know when i pull a shot. And have done load work up with only a bipod and rear squeeze bag and been able to achieve great accuracy. it helps you learn form and what you need to work on..

stx likes this.
  7. Deezel

Deezel Well-Known Member

I went with a Caldwell Rock BR front rest and switched out the bags to Protektor. I use this rest for my load development. Once I find the load, I switch over to whatever rest I'll be using for hunting.
    For the money, it's a good, stable rest and should be enough to get you started in F-class, if that's the direction you go.

[​IMG]

Pointman and Holycity73 like this.
  8. Lrreloader

I would recommend protektor bags, they can make to your specs or have lots of bags already made.

9. Hatrick

Hatrick Well-Known Member

What glass are you shooting? Sometimes seeing better is shooting better.

Deezel likes this.
  10. 30BR

30BR Well-Known Member

If you are serious about getting into Benchrest, you should get a Farley front rest, or a SEB if you can find one.
    Rear bags from Edgewood.
    Buy once, cry once.

The Bald Eagle is ok for casual shooting.

bigngreen, ronstone09 and HARPERC like this.
  11. Janno05

Janno05 Active Member

I own a Sinclair heavy varmint rest that I use for load development and local matches. I love it, haven’t really used anything else to compare it to other than a lead sled but I can get really good groups off of it.

12. JustMe2

JustMe2 Well-Known Member

A Caldwell Lead Sled rest would be a real steady rest for load development. Removes most rest errors.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  13. SCSCHNUR

SCSCHNUR Well-Known Member

Champion Traps and Targets Enhanced Rifle Rest
    I LIKE THIS ONE

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  14. 30BR

30BR Well-Known Member

If you will shoot IBS, the front and rear rests can not be connected.

SCSCHNUR likes this.