I need some help on choosing rings

I have a Savage LRH outfitted with a 20 MOA base and Vortex Viper 6-24. I have an extra Zeiss 3-9x40 I would like to put rings on for brush hunting/back-up.

Does anyone have some suggestions on adequate (not excellent – money is a little short right now) low profile/lightweight rings that would mount up on my 20 moa? The Zeiss has a 1-inch tube. If someone has a set used rings they want to unload. PM me.

Also, will the 20 moa angle be enough to throw off a 300-yard max point blank range concept on my Zeiss 3-9 scope? I'm toying with the idea of using brush country friendly loads when I zero the Zeiss 3-9.

Mud is right on with TPS rings. Reasonable price, very sturdy, unique tightening feature and they offer a "super low" mounting option that is very nice for setting up cheek weld on scopes with smaller objective scopes on low comb stocks. I have them on rifles from 6.5-284 up to 7STW and have never had any movement in TPS rings, aluminum or steel.

Thanks... those rings look nice. I am trying to get my head wrapped around the 20 moa question in regards to using a standard scope. Guess I just have to memorize the modified trajectory and calculate it into my MPBR.

I'm not familiar with your Zeiss 1 inch model, but if you're planning on a point blank setup, you shouldn't have any problem with a max 300 yd zero on a 20 moa rail. You should check your usable MOA on elevation turret to be sure or use customer service @ Zeiss for your scope model.

I'm not sure what cartridge you are shooting, but just zero the rifle at 300y and you should have nearly 400y point blank. Nothing to wrap your head around. If you wind up extending your range, the 20moa rail will just give you an extra 20moa of available drop for dialing.

PS. There is no such thing as brush friendly bullets. They all deflect if encountered by something on the way to the target.

Steve

Thanks... those rings look nice. I am trying to get my head wrapped around the 20 moa question in regards to using a standard scope. Guess I just have to memorize the modified trajectory and calculate it into my MPBR.

You can't go wrong with Farrell Industries. A bit pricey, but I doubt you can find any better quality anywhere. The rings & base I purchased several years ago are perfect!. As a machinist/toolmaker/shop supervisor for 46 years, I know what I'm talking about. Call & talk to them. They'll even exchange bases and/or rings if you need something different for a new rifle from what you might buy in the future.

For the cheap stuff I use Weaver tactical or Burris tactical rings.
For good rings, Seekins.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.