I need help

brianjohnson

So I am going to build a 300 RUM on a model 70 action. I want it to be a long range hunter and am not sure how i should do it.. thought about a 27 or 28 inch #5 bbl and a looked at Manners stock with a vias muzzle brake. just dont know if i should go with a #7 bbl or if i should go with a tactical stock or a hunter type of stock.. looking to shoot big game out to 1000 yards and shoot either 190 or 210gr vld.. any help and/or advice would be appreciated.gun)

by the way i planned on trying to get a huskemaw scope for it if the scope would handle the recoil.. and i would like to try to make the rifle on the lighter side if at all possible.. thanks for the help!!

I've got a Sendero in 300 RUM and like it. No brake, so I cant help you there. I like the Sendero contour and think it gives more consistant shooting than lighter contours. The factroy length is 26" and if/when i get it rebarreld, i'll get it in 27" length.

Stock is a matter of personal prefference. I like the HS stock on the Sendero (the older SF, not the SFII) and wouldn't change anything about it.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Montana... I plan on taking the time and getting to know the gun b4 any hunting goes on and really thought about the sendero but thought maybe i could squeeze out a little more with the new barrel on my model 70. I am really hoping that a few more people wil put in their input on here. wanna attempt to start this project soon but would love the feedback b4 the start of it. thanks again

Two votes for the Sendero stock. But get ear plugs and break. 300 RUM is a monster on both ends!

Would not recommend the Vais brake on a LR hunting rifle. if you plan on shooting from a bipod any.

They are very good, except that they have holes all the way around and will kick up a lot of dirt/dust off a bipod.

The Holland Radial brake, DE edge brake are much better brakes, and will cost the same or less.

BH

I am glad you said that.. I would have not thought about that.. I need some serious help... lol... so thats one change.. anyone else with any suggestions?

Would not recommend the Vais brake on a LR hunting rifle. if you plan on shooting from a bipod any.

They are very good, except that they have holes all the way around and will kick up a lot of dirt/dust off a bipod.

The Holland Radial brake, DE edge brake are much better brakes, and will cost the same or less.

BH

+1

The tactical stocks are more comfy shooting prone, you need to get your hands on one and compare it with a traditional hunting style stock. Go to a gun store and play around with both in different shooting positions if you don't know anybody with one.

I have a #7 30" on my big 30 cal. I had it fluted for the weight. My rifle w/ the original sako synthetic stock is weighing about 11.5 lbs complete. How heavy are you planning on the rifle being? If you don't mind the 10-12 lbs, I would say go with the #7.

Steve

wont mind the weight on this one too much.. i am going to build another lightweight gun in 260 also.. this one will ride in bags up mountains until its setup. or be driven to a location when possible. just looking for the best options

Different barrel makers use different contour scales. Are you talking #7 Lilja? That should be a good contour, but if you dont mind the weight, I would go with the Sendero contour which is about a #8 (~.825 @ the muzzle). My Sendero with NF scope, hardware, bipod and ammo is probably 12 lbs plus and I carry it. I've probably put close to 50 miles on foot with it this year which is an off year for me.

I recently sent a rem 700 action to christensen arms and had the carbon wrapped barrel with their brake, and the carbon stock, chambered in 300 ultra mag it is about 8.5# ready to hunt. It sure is a sweet shooting rig, my 5'3" tall
115 lb wife can shot it with ease. it now kicks like a 243.

+1 for the Huskemaw scope and use one piece Talley rings to save weight.
As far as stocks go, I like the Manners T2 or GAT for shooting prone.
I don't see the need to go to a Sendero contour in a 27" barrel.
I would go with a light palma, .750 at muzzle and it will be plenty stiff enough in a 30cal 27" long. And it will same you about a 1/2 pound. I would recomend a break . I have only tried DE and SSG breaks, and like them both.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.