I need help

B

brianjohnson

So I am going to build a 300 RUM on a model 70 action. I want it to be a long range hunter and am not sure how i should do it.. thought about a 27 or 28 inch #5 bbl and a looked at Manners stock with a vias muzzle brake. just dont know if i should go with a #7 bbl or if i should go with a tactical stock or a hunter type of stock.. looking to shoot big game out to 1000 yards and shoot either 190 or 210gr vld.. any help and/or advice would be appreciated.gun)

B

brianjohnson

by the way i planned on trying to get a huskemaw scope for it if the scope would handle the recoil.. and i would like to try to make the rifle on the lighter side if at all possible.. thanks for the help!!

M

MontanaRifleman

I've got a Sendero in 300 RUM and like it. No brake, so I cant help you there. I like the Sendero contour and think it gives more consistant shooting than lighter contours. The factroy length is 26" and if/when i get it rebarreld, i'll get it in 27" length.

Stock is a matter of personal prefference. I like the HS stock on the Sendero (the older SF, not the SFII) and wouldn't change anything about it.

Cheers,

Mark

B

brianjohnson

Thanks Montana... I plan on taking the time and getting to know the gun b4 any hunting goes on and really thought about the sendero but thought maybe i could squeeze out a little more with the new barrel on my model 70. I am really hoping that a few more people wil put in their input on here. wanna attempt to start this project soon but would love the feedback b4 the start of it. thanks again

R

Robbin

Two votes for the Sendero stock. But get ear plugs and break. 300 RUM is a monster on both ends!

B

BountyHunter

Would not recommend the Vais brake on a LR hunting rifle. if you plan on shooting from a bipod any.

They are very good, except that they have holes all the way around and will kick up a lot of dirt/dust off a bipod.

The Holland Radial brake, DE edge brake are much better brakes, and will cost the same or less.

BH

B

brianjohnson

I am glad you said that.. I would have not thought about that.. I need some serious help... lol... so thats one change.. anyone else with any suggestions?

Bravo 4

Bravo 4

Would not recommend the Vais brake on a LR hunting rifle. if you plan on shooting from a bipod any.

They are very good, except that they have holes all the way around and will kick up a lot of dirt/dust off a bipod.

The Holland Radial brake, DE edge brake are much better brakes, and will cost the same or less.

BH

+1

The tactical stocks are more comfy shooting prone, you need to get your hands on one and compare it with a traditional hunting style stock. Go to a gun store and play around with both in different shooting positions if you don't know anybody with one.

B

brianjohnson

What exactly would be a good taper on this gun? I am thinking a number 7 maybe...

RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I have a #7 30" on my big 30 cal. I had it fluted for the weight. My rifle w/ the original sako synthetic stock is weighing about 11.5 lbs complete. How heavy are you planning on the rifle being? If you don't mind the 10-12 lbs, I would say go with the #7.

Steve

B

brianjohnson

wont mind the weight on this one too much.. i am going to build another lightweight gun in 260 also.. this one will ride in bags up mountains until its setup. or be driven to a location when possible. just looking for the best options

M

MontanaRifleman

Different barrel makers use different contour scales. Are you talking #7 Lilja? That should be a good contour, but if you dont mind the weight, I would go with the Sendero contour which is about a #8 (~.825 @ the muzzle). My Sendero with NF scope, hardware, bipod and ammo is probably 12 lbs plus and I carry it. I've probably put close to 50 miles on foot with it this year which is an off year for me.

O

owen_n_wa

I recently sent a rem 700 action to christensen arms and had the carbon wrapped barrel with their brake, and the carbon stock, chambered in 300 ultra mag it is about 8.5# ready to hunt. It sure is a sweet shooting rig, my 5'3" tall
115 lb wife can shot it with ease. it now kicks like a 243.

trueblue

trueblue

+1 for the Huskemaw scope and use one piece Talley rings to save weight.
As far as stocks go, I like the Manners T2 or GAT for shooting prone.
I don't see the need to go to a Sendero contour in a 27" barrel.
I would go with a light palma, .750 at muzzle and it will be plenty stiff enough in a 30cal 27" long. And it will same you about a 1/2 pound. I would recomend a break . I have only tried DE and SSG breaks, and like them both.