I have an issue with 6.5 Creedmoor or maybe just reloading

I use an RCBS 5-0-5 Beam balance scale to check what I get from my dispenser. Once they agree, I then re-check every ten rounds. With precision reloading in particular, the time it take is negligible and worth it. Takes very little time Works for me.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll try to find some weights first and make sure my scale is working properly. I used the hornady gauge to check my lands. I also did it the old fashioned way with a slice in the neck and load the projectile. Both came in at 2.90 and 2.91 so I took the lower. I might try pulling back off the lands just a bit more as well.
I use the split neck procedure but run 6 or more cycles to get not an average but to find the depth that comes up most frequently. Normally I see the same depth 4 times out of 6. Since the bullet may stick slightly in the lands or not be centered and get bumped back a little I 'toss' those measurements that seem suspicious.
Would use the 'stripped bold' technique but would probably do damage/lose parts. LOL

I had the same issue with the Lyman so I called them and they said it was the fluorescent lighting in my reloading room that was causing the problem. I am an electrician so I changed my ballasts to electronic and put in LED tubes . That seems to have solved the problem but I went back to my trusty RCBS 10-10. I do not trust they electronics at this point. My guns and body parts are too important t me at my age.

I reloaded some rounds that I wanted to test using 140 RDF and RL-17. I tried to be super careful and meticulous with these loads. I loaded up a group of 25. From 41.1 to 42.3 in .3 increments. I'm using Hornady brass and CCI #200 primers. The first group I shot I was hitting 2850fps. When I got the 41.4 group, I had 2 shots at 2900 fps and blew a primer. Stopped there. I should have been seeing around 2700 - 2725 with these 2 loads. I purchased a Lyman digital scale with trickler. I would assume this would be a decent unit. I have re-calibrated, zeroed, etc. This is the second time I've loaded a group only to have them way hotter than expected. I set the oal at 2.87 because I measured my rifling at 2.9 and these still fit in my AI mags. I'm shooting a Thompson Performance Center LRR in 6.5 with a 24" barrel.

Where do I start figuring this stuff out? My only guess is that my powder grains reading is off and the scale is reading lighter than it should.
Sounds as though you are running a max load at .003 off rifling which is almost touching. You are over pressure for sure. Either back off the lands or start working up the load again. Hornady data for a nosler bullet? Not the best idea. Just because a book says it's a max load doesn't mean it works in your rifle

Some guns and barrels have different pressure readings than others. I can tell you 2900 fps from a 24in with rl-17 is way too hot. You should be between 2800-2825. You probably should've stopped before you popped a primer though. There had to be some serious ejector marks and heavy bolt lift.

When using RL17 w
I reloaded some rounds that I wanted to test using 140 RDF and RL-17. I tried to be super careful and meticulous with these loads. I loaded up a group of 25. From 41.1 to 42.3 in .3 increments. I'm using Hornady brass and CCI #200 primers. The first group I shot I was hitting 2850fps. When I got the 41.4 group, I had 2 shots at 2900 fps and blew a primer. Stopped there. I should have been seeing around 2700 - 2725 with these 2 loads. I purchased a Lyman digital scale with trickler. I would assume this would be a decent unit. I have re-calibrated, zeroed, etc. This is the second time I've loaded a group only to have them way hotter than expected. I set the oal at 2.87 because I measured my rifling at 2.9 and these still fit in my AI mags. I'm shooting a Thompson Performance Center LRR in 6.5 with a 24" barrel.

Where do I start figuring this stuff out? My only guess is that my powder grains reading is off and the scale is reading lighter than it should.
Your pretty right on schedule, with this load. I use this combination, except with 140 Custom Comp & 143 ELDX, in a 24" 10 BA Steath and get over 2800fps with excellent accuracy.

If typical signs of pressure are showing, BACK IT DOWN?! Reloder powders are high energy powders, that go from safe to unsafe, real quick!

I ordered some weights. I still have some of the loads I created. I plan to pull them apart and weigh the powder from each to see if they are all heavy or what. I'll wait for my weights before I do this though.

I'd back off lands to at least .010"+. If I'm reading correctly, you may be right on lands. 2900 fps is max or above in my 24" CM.

You didn't mention what method you used to find your lands, but the stripped bolt method is very accurate. Work off your base to ogive measurements and do setting depth tests.

Some guns and barrels have different pressure readings than others. I can tell you 2900 fps from a 24in with rl-17 is way too hot. You should be between 2800-2825. You probably should've stopped before you popped a primer though. There had to be some serious ejector marks and heavy bolt lift.
Thats one of the things that really baffled me. There were a few very light ejector marks and primers looked good, too. My shoulder could definitely tell the loads were hotter and of course, the magspeed.

You guys are loads of information. I'm pretty confident I'll get it figured out.

Could you explain the "Stripped Bolt" method to locate the lands? I've never heard that term before. How does it different from the Hornady system (AKA former Stony Point system)?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.