Reloading 6.5 Creedmoor

Walker1

I built my first rifle. It is a Savage Weather Warrior that was a .243 but I put a CBI 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on it. My first barrel swap. I think it went pretty well. I even bedded the action for the first time to the factory stock. Now I am looking to reload for it. I plan to shoot 140gr A-max. Maybe even try the 140 Berger VLD's but have never used Berger. Are they harder to reload? Should I just buy factory loads and see how it shoots then just reload the once fired brass or buy new brass and start from scratch? I haven't bought any dies yet. Should I go with neck or full length dies?

The Creedmoor is easy to load for.
For best accuracy get the Hornady Full Length Bushing die set. I don't recall of the top of my head what bushing size I am using right now.
H4350 seems to work best with the 140gr bullets.
I use CCI BR2 primers.

James

The Creedmoor is easy to load for.
For best accuracy get the Hornady Full Length Bushing die set. I don't recall of the top of my head what bushing size I am using right now.
H4350 seems to work best with the 140gr bullets.
I use CCI BR2 primers.

James

I do not know anything about those dies. Can more than one bushing size be used? If I read correctly they do not do anything to the neck of the casing when they size it? Do I need to neck size also? Should I start off with new brass or just shoot factory ammo then reload?

i use the cheap hornady dies and only necksize with them. try 39.0 gr. of varget.im getting faster speed ,less pressure, and they hit 4" higher at 300 yards. i was using h-4350 but got a hard bolt lift. went to varget and never looked back. MARK25-06

sorry,,, i use the 140 a-max ,i also make all my own brass out of 308 brass, but only use rem brass, once fired or brand new it works the same. MARK25-06

i use the cheap hornady dies and only necksize with them. try 39.0 gr. of varget.im getting faster speed ,less pressure, and they hit 4" higher at 300 yards. i was using h-4350 but got a hard bolt lift. went to varget and never looked back. MARK25-06

I went out and bought 5 boxes of ammo today. 140gr A-max. Thought I would shoot it and then reload the brass. You say that you use .308 brass. If you full length resize then it makes it a 6.5 Creedmoor or you just neck size it to a Creedmoor? Is 39.0gr of Varget a start or is that your max?

Trim the .308 brass to recommended 6.5 Creedmoor length and then full length size it. You may also need to turn the necks in order for them to chamber with a bullet seated in them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.