I have an issue with 6.5 Creedmoor or maybe just reloading

I have a Hornady tool to measure the lands. I also do the old fashioned way with a slit in the case neck. Both came out close to the same at 1.90 and 1.91

Could you explain the "Stripped Bolt" method to locate the lands? I've never heard that term before. How does it different from the Hornady system (AKA former Stony Point system)?
I'm guessing it is just a long bolt or all-thread that you use similarly to the Hornady tool. Drill out the primer hole in a case, loose neck, put the projectile in and slide it into the chamber then use the long bolt through the primer hole to slide the projectile forward until you feel lands then mark, pull it all out and slide the bolt into the case to the mark with the projectile touching the end of the rod and you should have a oal for lands.

I plan to redo all these at 2.87 next time. I'm sure I was too close to the lands. There's a lot more to reloading than I ever could have guessed. Even when you try to be precise with 20 little things, if you miss 1, it can bite you.

Here is a Quickload model of info you have provided, of coarse I don't have your actual case capacity, so I took case cap down to 52 gr. By this you are 5K under max pressure. RL 17 is an extremely high energy powder, I say more so than VV N 500 series, I would not let speed dictate anything in this equation.

Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
Clean your barrel. Get a second scale to check the thrown powder loads, use the SAMMI spec COAL to start. You can load towards the lands to get better accuracy later.

One other thing I noticed, probably has no bearing on what is going on though.

You are stating your length measurements to 2 decimals, or hundredths of an inch. Most of us work to 3 decimals, thousandths of an inch. Is it required, probably not, but I'm just curious what kind of calipers you are using since I've never seen a set good enough for reloading that only measures to the hundredth. If your seating depth is off because you are using cheap calipers, you could put one into the lands and not know it, which would spike your pressure in a hurry. You don't have to spend a ton to get calipers good enough to reload, but thought I would mention it.

I reloaded some rounds that I wanted to test using 140 RDF and RL-17. I tried to be super careful and meticulous with these loads. I loaded up a group of 25. From 41.1 to 42.3 in .3 increments. I'm using Hornady brass and CCI #200 primers. The first group I shot I was hitting 2850fps. When I got the 41.4 group, I had 2 shots at 2900 fps and blew a primer. Stopped there. I should have been seeing around 2700 - 2725 with these 2 loads. I purchased a Lyman digital scale with trickler. I would assume this would be a decent unit. I have re-calibrated, zeroed, etc. This is the second time I've loaded a group only to have them way hotter than expected. I set the oal at 2.87 because I measured my rifling at 2.9 and these still fit in my AI mags. I'm shooting a Thompson Performance Center LRR in 6.5 with a 24" barrel.

Where do I start figuring this stuff out? My only guess is that my powder grains reading is off and the scale is reading lighter than it should.
What is your seating depth ?

How clean is the chamber....maybe run a fiber brush on a drill in there....clean it really good...maybe it has excess oils or crud creating the problematic sticky fired case....

One other thing I noticed, probably has no bearing on what is going on though.

You are stating your length measurements to 2 decimals, or hundredths of an inch. Most of us work to 3 decimals, thousandths of an inch. Is it required, probably not, but I'm just curious what kind of calipers you are using since I've never seen a set good enough for reloading that only measures to the hundredth. If your seating depth is off because you are using cheap calipers, you could put one into the lands and not know it, which would spike your pressure in a hurry. You don't have to spend a ton to get calipers good enough to reload, but thought I would mention it.
I'm using digital. I can go to 3 without issue. I just went with 2 because the 3rd was zero. Thanks for the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.