I have a 25-06 question??

If the 20" barrel bothers you enough it won't matter how accurate it is, how light it is, how easily it swings onto target, or the speed it generates; you won't be happy with the rifle.

Why not ask him to spin on a 22" or 24" barrel, of the same contour, taking into account the twist rate comments made here? 2"-4" of thin-walled tube isn't going to change the weight very much, but it will alter how it handles. Then the rifle will be what you want.

If the 20" barrel bothers you enough it won't matter how accurate it is, how light it is, how easily it swings onto target, or the speed it generates; you won't be happy with the rifle.

Why not ask him to spin on a 22" or 24" barrel, of the same contour, taking into account the twist rate comments made here? 2"-4" of thin-walled tube isn't going to change the weight very much, but it will alter how it handles. Then the rifle will be what you want.
I had 4" of barrel taken off a XBolt 30-06 with a medium/heavy sporter barrel. That 4" piece of barrel weighs right at 4 oz on my postal scale.

I have 9 rifles in 2506…all shoot in the .6 moa or better range (with the same loads)…that minuscule amount of extra weight of a 22" or 24" barrel in added performance and "less load finickyness" is the sure way to go..
If you don't like it…you can cut and recrown…(I bet you'll then spend your time "discovering" a satisfactory load…2506 operates best very near max, 100gr bullet atop 57gr R22 or 53.5gr of 4831…adjust seating depth to the individual rifle)

Last edited:
I think it would make a great rifle, just add suppressor and you won't even notice the "short" barrel. We don't know the twist of the barrel, so check that out. If it's 8 twist you're golden. You can shoot the heavies out of it and have no problem with the ranges you want to shoot. Hammers, berger, hornady, all great bullets in that 120 plus area....

I've got 4 family members who won't deer hunt with anything else. I've got tang safety 25-06 that's killed caribou and black bear in Alaska and plenty of whitetail back here in Ky.
120gr cor-lock are what my uncle and cousins swear by, Dad loves the 117gr sierra, I like 120gr partitions when I can find them or 117gr Hornady sst. With proper zero from muzzle to 300yd hold on their shoulder and flatten them.
Our rifles don't have the twist for monos but everyone seems to love the hammers.
Only real negative to the short barrel will be increased muzzle blast, 150ish fps maybe an extra click or two of elevation at 400yd.

I use 2 Encore bbls in 25-06. Long one is 26". It gets 3300 with 100 Gameking and kills deer sized critters like lightning. Short one is 15". Exact same ammo gets 2800. Interpolation and a WAG says expect 3000fps in my example with 20" bbl. YMMV

I had 2, 25-06s back in 72 when they first came out, as factory rifles, mostly a coyote, and rock chuck rifle, killed a huge buck with one, not impressive, but worked, really liked it as a varmint caliber, both were 24" barrels traded one and rebarreled the Remington, for a long action 308. Have a thousand rds of new factory win brass to trade or make into another caliber. Not interested in 25 caliber these days ...and I wouldn't have one with a short barrel ... you can lighten any rifle caliber... but all that means nothing, if you desire to own it, ...it might be your "cup of tea"...ya don't need it, ..but you desire to have such a pretty little thing...need, has nothing to do with many purchases...indulge yourself, take another look, life's to short, to leave that little beauty behind.

There are calibres I will NEVER not have in the safe, the 25 is one of them, have 257AI, 25-06 (2) and 257 Weatherby, also will always have 26, 30, 33 and 37. Have others as well, but these 5 just get it done.
Love the 25-06 on many game, foxes, pigs, deer, and even feral dogs and donkeys.

Cheers.

I presently am thinking about purchasing another rifle. I have a gunsmith who is popularly known for his mountain rifles. These mountain rifles are in the 5 1/2 pound range and are supposed to be very accurate. He is also recognized for his stock making skills. I have not seen this rifle, however he has told me that he has stocked the rifle in a zebra wood stock. The rifle is built on a Ruger 77 tang safety action (all I own are Ruger 77s) in 25-06, however it has a 20 inch barrel and he is asking $2100 for this rifle. This gunsmith has built a number of rifles for me over the years, I am 100% certain that it will be a tack driver. "If" I purchased this rifle it would be used primarily for whitetail deer hunting out to the 300-400 yard range, and...400 probably would be a poke for where I hunt. If I want to push the envelope for distance I have a very nice, semi-custom Ruger 77 in .270 Ackley Improved (that shoots bug holes at 100 yards) that this same gunsmith built for me. So... "I do not need this rifle" (like who does) I have plenty of them for my hunting needs. I really do respect this gunsmith and respect him for his skills and would not mind having one of his specialty rifles that weighs 5 1/2 pounds. I have never owned or even shot a 25-06, from what I have read they are pleasant to shoot and very accurate. The dilemma that I am having is the 20 inch barrel for the 25-06. If I were to have this gunsmith build this rifle for me it would be using a barrel that was at least 24 inches to get as much muzzle velocity as possible out of this overbore cartridge. Is there a certain given barrel length/cutoff where there is not much more velocity/benefit to be gained based upon caliber as in this one in .25 caliber? There's a lot of good information, experience and knowledge out there on this forum, so I am asking what other's thoughts are about a 5 1/2 pound rifle built in 25-06 with a 20 inch barrel? I'm trying to weigh all of the pros and cons, and... really would appreciate some thoughts and input on this particular rifle/cartridge combination.
I have pretty good results with PPU ammo out of my factory Howa in 25-06. 90 gr HP puts meet in my freezer every year w/ a 22 inch barrel. And you can still buy PPU ammo on SGAmmo. The brass is not Lapua but it works well enough for a hunting rig IMO. You could use this brass till you found something better. Without breaking the bank.

I would like to thank everyone for taking their time to thoughtfully reply to this thread. Unfortunately when I went to make the purchase, the rifle was sold!! I really did not need another rifle, however I have never owned a .25 caliber and thought it would be a great cartridge to own. Thank you again for all of your responses.

Recent Posts