I am finally able to post here now.

wyomingblizzard

For the first time I have shot truely ELR with percision. After a very long two year wait for my new rifle from Kirby I can join the mile club. This weekend was the first time that I have been able to take the 338 A.M. Past 1000 yards. First up was a 2 moa rock at 1260 yards, it was almost to easy, 3 ***** with in 1/2 moa of aim point next rock was 1390, first shot 1/2 moa low and 1/2 moa left, made adjustment next 2were near perfect. Finally the mile shot ( the first time I have ever sho that far) the rock was approximately 1.5x1.5 moa, first shot hit on left edge, but still a hit, I dialed anther .75 right and the next 2 rounds hit very near center. It seems that this rifle will shoot! I cant wait for next weekend, I will definitely have more than a few rounds loaded.
338 Allen Mag 34" barrel
300 grn. Berger OTM
145 grns HBMG50
3380 fps
All equals one heck of a good time!

Now don'tcha get all caught up with bust'n rocks. I did that with my 270 AM. More fun than a fella should be allowed to have.

What I learned was that shooting out a barrel before having killed anything is about like loosing a great dog, the wife and your best horse all in the same day. It's a complete new definition of remorse.

Wasn't so bad when the second barrel went. Guess ya kinda get used to it.:roll eyes:

Just tuned up the 375 AM this evening for drop check at 1200 and then going, like you, one mile for the first time.

Compared to yours mine's kinda peckerwood. Shooting a 350 CEB @ 3300 and she meets the builders accuracy spec even with me driving her.:)

It's nifty having the biggest bark on the mountain...gun)

I've been shooting a 7 mag out to the 3/4 mile mark. 6 rock chucks so far between 1332 and 1402 yds. Have done a little shooting at a mile, but it seems that may be just a bit too much of a stretch, even for the 180 gr Berger VLD's. I'm certain my skills come into question at that range too.
I have a .270 WSM by Kirby, that I use for a walking varmint, and occasionally elk, rifle. It's a shooter all right. Enough so to make me consider his .338 AM for mile + 'chuck shooting.
I don't have the courage to mention another ELR rifle to my wife while conditioning her for the next motorcycle purchase.

IMO, if the wind is non-existant and you have a nice set up- Great scope, good load, low ES, not canting, good shooting basics, etc.... long range shooting and ELR shooting is fairly easy on a STATIC Target but once you are at ELR distance on a moving target it is MUCH more difficult, actually IMO it is in a whole other universe of difficulty. What direction are they walking? Is it compounding the Coriolis effect? How does that play into the spin drift? Let's not forget about the winds (wind gradient) and how many there may be between here and your target.... full value? Partial? Etc.... It's not just a simple lead like at 500 or 600 yards.

JMO

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.