Finally tried a mile

Kroberts

Yesterday a buddy and I finally made it to shooting at a mile or after a couple shots found out it was closer to an even 1700. Even though we never got my 284 win on target. We were able to get my friends 338 edge on target. Out of 12 shots he got 4 on steel with one just grazing but we're counting it (one of which was mine from his rifle) and 2 a couple inches to the right and vottom of the steel that went through the frame. We fired 4 shots just to find that we were sending the shots high. So one shot find where we were hitting and the last shot went left of the target while finding the exact windage. It makes it hard to find your misses when the spot the landowner gives you to shoot puts your target on top of one hill usin a second hill as a back stop. And out steel in a 2'x3' piece of 3/4" steel. Weighs a ton but makes a ring you can hear at that distance. Next weekend we are going to take a couple sheets of plywood to see in we can find the poi of my rifle. Even though I never made contact with the 284 it sure was fun jumping up from the 1200-1300 yard targets.

Kyle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 27
Thank. We'e both running viper pst. I've got the 2nd focal plane 4-16 and he has the ffp 6-24. He has a little more distance he can get out of his scope but mine is pretty much maxed out with about 10 Moa of holdover left in the reticle and less than 5 in the turrets. I'm definitely looking to upgrade the scope next year. And I've got to get the pictures figured out on here there were supposed to be three of them but I can only get one at a time. But in the one picture I could see its hoeing the shot that grazed the target. Broke a chunk out of the t-post and still about blew out the back of a 2x6.

Kyle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 22
Kyle, your Welcome , very impressive to say the least nice pix to thks ,great info love to try that distince myself some time ,ring that 284 out I'm sure your curious as I am on what she'll do,great round also . Post again when you both shoot again thanks n regards jjmp

Next Saturday a different friend and I are going to try again. He uses a 7RM with the 163 Amax and I'm pushing the 180 smk. I feel like once that friend and I find our holds that all three of us will do similarly since all three rifles shoot very similarly to the 1200-1300 area. I'm ready to make that steel ring with the 284. And here's a picture of the range. I'll just keep putting one at a time until I get it figures out how I can post more at a time.

Kyle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 23
Made another trip to the mile spot today with the 284 win and my buddy with his 7rem mag. And we both got steel today. When we started we had an average wing speed of about 10 mph but would vary between about 8-13 with no wind meter just judging by the brush and trees. I only fired 8 shots and my buddy fired 19. Out of my 8 I got 2 hits on steel and 3 that were within about 8" vertical but the horizontal was about 36" due to the varying wind. No idea where the other 3 went. My friend took about 16 shots just to find where the bullets were even impacting. But his last three shots went into a 10" x 20" group bein 10 wide and 20 tall. The hill side we shot into doesn't show our bullets splashing so every volley we shot we had to drive down to the target and look. Due to the 162 Amax having a little lower bc than stated and my friend running a g1 calculation the bullets were impacting about 6moa lower than expected. By dropping the g1 bcc to about .59 and switching it to and running the g7 calculation it was on for 1000,1200,1300, and 1700 yards. It sure makes shooting that distance tough when from you firing position you can't see your misses in the dirt or even the hits on steel unless you happen to catch the little poof of lead.

Kyle

Kyle,another very good report,agreed its tuffer when you have to drive down and check every group,what about using a two way radios,one guy could shoot while the other is a spotter when I was shooting at 1,000 yards myself I would use 10.5 inch white paper plates the cheapest I could fine , with my spotting scope I could see 30 caliber bullet holes , recalculating the bullets bc was great ,accentuate the positives there are many. What about stretching a white bed sheet behind your target that way you'd see the bullet holes granted paper would be better but it could rip or tear ,or better yet watch some extra long range shooting on you tube just to get better ideas to help you both and make your shooting more fun ,not seeing your bullet splashes has to be fixed ,with all due respect,regards to you Both ,Jeff

This time we had a couple of sheets of blandex behind the steel. So it gave us a catch zone of 6' above and about 3' to each side of the target. We've had some ideas for how to make a good splash area underneath the target with pea gravel but it's their hay field so don't want to mess that up with gravel so plywood above is what we're stuck with for now. The radio thing would probably work pretty well. We just need to do a little playing to get things for this area figured out.

Kyle

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.