.223 to a Mile?

Wow, how things have changed. I'll be 80 this year. I have heavy barrel AR 15 and carbine 223 Bush master. but back when I was active 800 yards was the max so I am missing some thing. Myst be the ammo has changed. At that range can you actually put down Game humanly?
I am not a hunter, so when I refer to shooting out to 800-1000 yards with a 223, I am only hoping to hit steel. It has far too little energy still to be humane. I don't remember exactly, but I think the 75-80 grains only have around 200-300 ft./lb of energy left at 700 yards...

Wow, how things have changed. I'll be 80 this year. I have heavy barrel AR 15 and carbine 223 Bush master. but back when I was active 800 yards was the max so I am missing some thing. Myst be the ammo has changed. At that range can you actually put down Game humanly?
Na, this is just target shooting . . . . the cardboard did'nt suffer at all!

There are definitely options coming to take the 223 to very long distances.

The new Sierra 95 grain and other high BC projectiles.
New powders.

Most important, people willing to try it.

I obtained a Pac-Nor 6.5 twist before Sierra made the announcement. Now excited to try it.

There are definitely options coming to take the 223 to very long distances.

The new Sierra 95 grain and other high BC projectiles.
New powders.

Most important, people willing to try it.

I obtained a Pac-Nor 6.5 twist before Sierra made the announcement. Now excited to try it.
I would be willing to try it! Thoughts on how long those "very long distances" might be? My current replacement barrel will be a 7 twist, but I just might have to look into a 6.5 to maximize the potential of these 95 grain bullets.

The BC is 0.600 so we are getting into the specs of the 6.5 Creedmoor, I think.

I would be willing to try it! Thoughts on how long those "very long distances" might be? My current replacement barrel will be a 7 twist, but I just might have to look into a 6.5 to maximize the potential of these 95 grain bullets.

The BC is 0.600 so we are getting into the specs of the 6.5 Creedmoor, I think.

What would a 22creed push that 95 at do u think?

I hope someone can supply the 95 grain Sierra .224 bullet specifications.

I just "made up" possible specifications and put it into QuickLoad.

With a 30" barrel it looks like 2750fps is doable. 2850 might even be had from a .223/5.56 case with coated bullets. At a mile the trajectory would be between 80 and 85 MOA. If the bullet has good tran-sonic transition a mile is doable. Consistent? Won't know until it's tried.

With a 22 Nosler perhaps as much as 3050fps just short of a mile at super sonic to about 1650 yards.

I believe I have everything needed to make a try except....

The bullets.

Hi,

Purely speculation here in regards to the new 95gr Sierras.....I would say that a 6 twist might be needed to fully stabilize them from a standard 5.56 case. I say that because the 100gr projectiles that ATK supplied the US Army with were in no way even remotely stabilized from the 7 twist krieger barrels.....Like not even close to it!!!

Thanks,
THEIS

Hi,

Purely speculation here in regards to the new 95gr Sierras.....I would say that a 6 twist might be needed to fully stabilize them from a standard 5.56 case. I say that because the 100gr projectiles that ATK supplied the US Army with were in no way even remotely stabilized from the 7 twist krieger barrels.....Like not even close to it!!!

Thanks,
THEIS
Interesting. So, I'm thinking in the other direction... I have heard of overstabilizing a bullet. If I were to move up to a 6 or 6.5 twist, does that mean that it wouldn't shoot the 55 grain bullets as accurately because of the overly fast twist rate? I've had interesting things happen with my 7 twist adn am wondering how an even faster twist rate would act. That wouldn't be what I would want the barrel for (I want the 6 and 6.5 twist for heavy bullets and longer distances), but am wondering for the rare occasions that I might use factory 55 rounds...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.