i am feeling lucky to be alive

Your rifle and homeowners insurance..

eddybo,
I know of an individual that had this happen, using the wrong powder in his rifle. It was 7mm also. He had Allstate homeowners insurance. Just like the guy that cut down the tree and crashed his roof in, they covered him for a brand new rifle since he had 100% replacement and his rifles were insured for the standard 10k per policy unless you get a higher value rider.
They had to make a ruling from Boston, Ma. home office, said they never had a claim like this..people usually don't survive. Explosion- covered under policy, rifle insured under policy - yes, 100% replacement cost. Stupidity - that what insurance is all about. The 8.5x25x50LRT was replaced also. The guy is lucky to be alive and he had used 4227 and it was Weatherby Mark-V Accumark too. The bolt held but the half of the face, extractor and 2 lugs were gone, blew all out the bottom and some topside which took out the scope.
Maybe you are covered too. Doesn't hurt to check, your in the same boat if they say no. Good luck!!

Freebore,

Thanks for the good info. Luckily mine wasnt a complete loss. I have collectors insurance that would probably cover it, but think I am going to take the loss as a hard lesson learned.
I wouldn't have told a soul about it except that I thought that it may keep spmepne from making the same stupid mistake. We all need reminders to use our common sense. Unluckily I was the example this time, luckily all I lost was a barrel. Besides I have a few buddies who visit this site who would have spilled the beans anyway.

Happens to the best of us

I dumped a full tube from my powder measurer not to long ago. I had 5 different powders on the bench. I got interrupted - went back to the bench and because I could not %100 - no doubt in my mind remember what powder I had put in I decided to just pitch it. NOW I only have the powder on the bench I am working with. All the others are out of sight in the cabinet.

The one powder on the bench rule has been followed in my reloading room forever. The problem I had was that I switched gallon jugs that were inconspicously labled and forgot I switched them. There was only one powder on the bench problem was that it was the wrong one:mad: My biggest error was getting in a hurry and becoming complacent and relying on my faulty memory.

I dumped a full tube from my powder measurer not to long ago. I had 5 different powders on the bench. I got interrupted - went back to the bench and because I could not %100 - no doubt in my mind remember what powder I had put in I decided to just pitch it. NOW I only have the powder on the bench I am working with. All the others are out of sight in the cabinet.

Rules of Handloading

The one powder on the bench rule has been followed in my reloading room forever. My biggest error was getting in a hurry and becoming complacent and relying on my faulty memory.

Ditto on the 'one powder on the bench forever 'rule! I forget the memory part.

I just made about the biggest mistake a reloader can make. I have always been very careful to avoid loading the wrong powder. one laz moment can kill you. I just touched off 92gr of 8208 instead of h870. The bolt is locked, I am headin out to try and ttwist the barrel off and see what damage was done. I think there is a good chance I may be in the market for a lawton 7000. Good news was that it produced a velocit y of 3600 fps....and I still have fingers and eyes.
Be careful with those white jugs. I think I am going to paint them different colors.
I know it was stupid. I had used the 870 yesterday and sat it on the bench but forgot that I switched jugs to load some ppcs.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. 92 grains of 8208! You should post that over on benchrest central. Those guys would get a kick out of that!

BTW, where did you get your 8208? I've been thinking about running some of that instead of N133 when it gets really humid but I can't seem to pry some from anyone's hands!

I shoot with Don Geraci and am pretty much in his good graces, he had a few jugs of the original 8208 squirreled away and shared with me. It is great stuff. It doesnt fall out of tune as bad as 133. Some lots of it are dynomite some are just good. I hear that some of the guys at BR central are trying to get a few tons of it recreated but have not heard any updates. It is funny, I have shot my best aggs with 8208 but shot my smallest groups with 133. I wish I had enough of it left to make it to some more matches. 8208 plus 66gr knight 9 ogives are killer in my heavy varmit.
The guys over at thunderbid cartridge company had about 40 lbs last year but I am sure it is gone even at 350 per 8lbs.

Last edited:
The "junk" powder can.

I keep an old RL 25 can on the bench. Any last little scraps of powder from anything get dumped in this thing and when it's full I go raise hell on the ant population in my yard.

Well, come home from Iraq and decide to load up some 300-338 LM one evening. Girly's daughter is with me and I figure it'd be a good time to break her in on the reloading bench.

We get to the point of loading powder and I twist the lid off that can of RL25 and start pouring into the RCBS auto trickler scale thingy I recently bought.

Loaded up about five cases before I said to myself that something didn't look right.

No, no Kablooey but considering that can is a mix of everything from H1000 to Retumbo it sure would have been one hell of a mess. I'm just thankful I caught it in time. Needless to say these are perishable skills and if you spend any time away from your bench, make sure you know whats going on before you start fussing with stuff. I hadn't loaded a case in almost two years prior to that. (**** Iraq)

Just be careful.

not quite the same thing but similar. i used to spend 3 months in Canada chasing whitetails and had my own little cabin on the back edge of the farm where i could shoot off a picnic table any time i wanted. i local fellow, who was a regular at the farm, was interested in my muzzleloader because he wanted to get one. i was going to let him shoot it one weekend when i was there and had it all loaded for him. i went back in the cabin and didn't realize he loaded the thing himself while i was gone. i was shooting 120gr of pyrodex with a 450gr maxi-ball on top. of course he loaded the same thing on top of mine without me knowing it. i'm glad he was standing up when he shot it because i'm sure a trip to the hospital would have been needed if he'd been at the bench when he touched it off.it knocked him back 2 steps into the cabin and he just flopped on the ground knocked out. i immediately knew something was wrong but was kinda late to do anything about it. he woke up and seemed fine other than an upper body sprain. he told me his entire shoulder and chest turned black and blue for a while.

i'm sure every one here knows the potential bomb we avoided. the gun seemed fine.i checked with the manufacturer and he said he's fired them many times with double charges just to see how they'd hold up and never had one expand at all. we can be thankful for all the testing and safety factors that get put into building this stuff. especially for us DUMMIES who aren't thinking about what we should be while we're shooting.

Thanks for the reminder, we all get in a hurry sometimes and should remember reloading is not a task to be rushed.

I use a Sharpie and write the type of powder and charge wt. on the hopper when I leave any in the powder measure. I also use the one powder on the bench method so I am hopefully covered twice. The sharpie marker wipes right off with a little denatured alcohol which I keep handy for cleaning up especially the priming system on my progressive.

If the powder jug on the bench does not match what is written on the powder hopper, the hopper gets dumped. I have only had to do that once thankfully, and it made darn good kindling a little at a time in the woodstove.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.