Am I being too picky?

This is my group out of my completely stock Tikka T3 .300 wsm at 200 yards. Would you guys consider this group acceptable? I feel like it can do better, am I being too picky?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 100
Are the shots stringing vertically or horizontal? If it is stringing vertical then I would keep working on it if not then I'd call it good. Also how long are you waiting between shots? If you are firing three shots fairly quick the heat could be throwing the one shot. Just my initial thought.

Last edited:
I don't think you are being picky, IMO it can be better. But it all depends on what your goal is. Here is one of my recent ones from 200 yards. .260 Remington with 8-32 Sightron SIII scope.

Attachments

• IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 142
I agree. I dont think you are being too picky. But then again it is all what a person expects. Some think anything under 1 MOA is good. Some will not settle for that.

I'd shoot a fourth shot and see if that flyer is honest or a fluke. But I would never say you can be too picky. I can have a perfect day at the range, and come away thinking I could have done better. That drive is what makes us strive to do better and make the industry better. For a tikka, I would expect it to do better out of the box, but it's not bad if this is the first set down the barrel. If it is, give it 20 shots down the tube and see if it tightens up, if it's not then maybe see if you can find a load that agrees a little better with your barrel.

I would not consider it "Picky". I would keep searching for a better load until I was convinced the gun can not do any better.

Remember, in most factory guns the accuracy may not be what you are expecting. Sometimes you do get a good one though.

Vertical groups can be mind blowing. Bad bench with a little movement. Light or mirage. Scope parallax and cheek weld. Chronograph loads as shot, Primer variance causing velocity variance. Neck tension. Last but a real tricky. The rear sling stud on certain bags will hold the stock up on the stud and then as you pull the trigger it will settle ever so little and a shot will go high. The 2 shots so close shows the gun has the accuracy, Some little thing is causing the problem. Good Luck.

At 200 yds...that group is nothing to sneeze at, but if it were me, I would keep tinkering with it. Shoot another group and see if strings again.

Shoot another group and see if strings again.

Yep! I would double check it was not me, the bench, etc. and not the load. I used to run off and try a difference load when I got a group that I was not ecstatic about and have since realized that I need to double check the loads I have already tried. Honestly to really prove anything we should probably all repeat 3 shot groups at least 5 times to have anything resembling a significant representation of the loads potential. I'd say shoot those 3 again as well as a step higher and lower on powder charge (OAL, neck tension, moon phase....) or whatever it is you're testing at this point. I'd bet you're pretty close to a load that will make you happy. That said I doubt there is a deer alive that will know you were a 1/4 MOA off at 400 yards.

Well I went back today and shot a 5 shot group. 10-15 minutes between shots. Thought I had it pegged til shot 4 and 5. What's the brain trust say? Btw the shot string is horizontal, for some reason when I upload pics it turns them sideways.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 120
I have an odd thought here, what is your outside temp? and what is the contour of your barrel? years ago, I took a trusted 270 to the range on a 95F day, and shot my normal three rounds at 15 minute intervals, and before the third shot the barrel was still HOT. The result was 1" between 1 and 2, and 2" to three. This is the only rifle I have this happen to, because of it's lightweight contour. But all my rifles open up at temperatures above 80. Also, the 300 is a hot load, it could be heating the barrel more. A thought would be to take as long as possible between shots on hot days, and see if the rifle is more consistent. Or if you can, save a target and fire the first shot on each range day at it, and see if the first shot hits in same spot each time. You have to use the same ammo each time however otherwise it's not a consistent test. Good luck man.

It was 85 degrees, and I put the rifle in the car in the AC between shots. But yes I've noticed my rifle shoots better the colder it is. I also thought about leaving the target up and going consecutive days but the weather here in OK is so unpredictable.

Well I went back today and shot a 5 shot group. 10-15 minutes between shots. Thought I had it pegged til shot 4 and 5. What's the brain trust say? Btw the shot string is horizontal, for some reason when I upload pics it turns them sideways.

I think that you have the node found. Looking at the pics you have very little vertical stringing. How was the wind? It may be pushing the shot around causing the long string. I would try some more groups taking plenty of time between shots. Also are you doing every shot the same way every time. I think you are close though. I lived in OK for a couple of years. Loved it there minus the heat.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.