30-06 - am I too fast?

OK, some months after this initial post I am finding the following:

-Chrony on fire formed brass is about average 2952, little slower and that makes sense.

-some of my primer pockets are loosening, but I am wondering if that is just the brass living out its life. Brass has had 6 reloads through it (Lapua), and some of the primers fit in easily with a Lee hand primer. At what point would you call this an hot load issue - when pockets are loose after the first shot over time? When do you hit the "too loose" barrier on a primer pocket?

Thanks for the help.

Looking at the Hodgdon website they list 59 grns as max with a 165 sierra SPBT for a velocity of 2938 fps. With what your describing, I still don't see it as being too hot of a load. I've never really spent too much time with Lapua brass, from what I hear it is tough as hell so maybe after 5 or so firing if the primer pockets are stretching, might be a bit hot, but still if you're happy with what you've got, I'd say shoot it. Just remember that some variables can change the pressure, say you loaded and tested the rounds in the middle of winter and now its summer and your casing were on the dashboard of a truck, the extra heat can cause higher pressures. Just keep an eye out.

I load for a 03a3 with a 24" Shaw barrel using 58.5 grains H4350 and am getting about the same velocities. The brass is RP and is not showing pressure signs. The bullets are seated to max COL so that they will feed from the mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.