Chasing speed - am I being greedy?

I guess the answer best suited would be there is absolutely nothing wrong with chasing velocity if all else remains the same! As for primers, it is better to match the heat of a primer with the type and charge weight of powder being used, not by the size of the case or what it says on it, for instance I use WLRP or mag primers with almost all ball powders because of a cleaner more consistant burn, or if its not 20* or colder out and I'm using 4350 in a 300 wm or wby I use standard primers for consistancy because Imr and H 4350 are easy to ignite, I do not care if it says mag on the case head. Just some random thoughts.

Hmm, where I am at temps never really drop below the 30's. I have some mag primers laying around, I will give them a go. Is there a general rule of thumb, like drop 2 grains of powder to accommodate mag primers over standard or???

If you're going from the extreme limits, like CCI 200s to Fed215s then backing down a couple tenths is a good idea, and the bigger the case and slower the powder is you want to drop a full grain or more, for instance 95grns of H1000 in a 300rum with fed 210s, if you go to a 215 you may want to drop to 94grns. On the other hand, sometimes it makes no difference enough pressure wise to worry about, things you must learn by experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.