Am I safe?

texan79

I understand that jamming the bullet into the lands leads to higher pressures, but I'm not sure how much. So my question is, If I don't have any pressure signs at .002 off the lands, am I safe to jam it .002 into thé lands with the same charge?

My guess is yes, but I'de rather ask and be sure.

Thanks.

I understand that jamming the bullet into the lands leads to higher pressures, but I'm not sure how much. So my question is, If I don't have any pressure signs at .002 off the lands, am I safe to jam it .002 into thé lands with the same charge?

My guess is yes, but I'de rather ask and be sure.

Thanks.

With a conventional bullet this can cause a significant spike in pressure. Is it not shooting well just off the lands? If you really want to shoot it into the lands, I would personally start over on load development.

Steve

"If I don't have any pressure signs at .002 off the lands, am I safe to jam it .002 into thé lands with the same charge?"

Probably. But for goodness sake, why do that?

Are you loading for a BR rifle with no bullet tension? If not, it won't do anything good anyway.

Also----loading to OAL does nothing for you-----have to know the bearing surface of each bullet to get any consistency. Otherwise, you will have one or two high pressure and one or 2 normal and one a little lower or higher yet. Not good JuJu for accuracy attempting to do this with a factory rifle is more problematic still. .

I will second what RMM said, start over with load developement if you want to seat into the lands. I have loaded to this COAL and sometimes it really enhances accuracy but you need to start at the very bottom of the charge weight and work up very carefully while watching for signs of excessive pressure. Sometimes your rifles own personal max load my be the listed starting load when seating into the rifling!

Thanks guys. Bumped them back tonight to sit off the lands. Shooting 7 rem mag with Berger VLD 168's and I think I'm going to step up to the 180's to see if I can tighten it up that way. I've chased these **** things forward and back and cant get better than 1.5 @ 200.

With a conventional bullet this can cause a significant spike in pressure. Is it not shooting well just off the lands? If you really want to shoot it into the lands, I would personally start over on load development.

Steve

+1

.002 is a long way from .000 because .002 or more allows the bullet to break the grip that
the neck has on it before engaging the rifling. with neck tension "AND" the rifling holding
the bullet the pressure has to build to a point that it overcomes the resistance to move
the bullet causing pressure to spike as Rocky Mentioned.

If it is not shooting well, sometimes backing off the lands .020 to .025 will improve accuracy
and velocity.

I have found that seating against the lands causes to many problems with temperature swings
Hear in Texas (60 to 80 degree swings are common in the fall). so I all ways start at .020 of the
lands and adjust seating depth for accuracy after the best load is found.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks guys. Bumped them back tonight to sit off the lands. Shooting 7 rem mag with Berger VLD 168's and I think I'm going to step up to the 180's to see if I can tighten it up that way. I've chased these **** things forward and back and cant get better than 1.5 @ 200.
Well, I can see how that can be true. Not many hunting rifles in 7 mag and using hunting bullets can do that well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.